Bravery or stupidity?

Started by sdlehr, January 18, 2019, 03:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Dinner at Sal's doesn't help either  ;D ;D ;D ;D.....just when you think you are full,  you find out those were actually the apps, and Dan gets told to help bring out the main course of chicken parm....then more perroni, then desert lol.

Keta

Ignorance created by watching too many "wildlife" shows on TV.  You would think when Steve Irwin killed himself doing stupid human tricks with a sting ray the ones that could learn would have.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

In all fairness, there was a whale carcass in the background, and that shark was probably stuffed with rotting blubber and not very interested in chasing down a more difficult meal - I'm thinking there actually is some fear of humans in most sharks, fear of the unknown helps survival a lot and is a highly selected-for behavior. I know that big dogs don't know how big they are, same with a lot of little dogs often having delusions of grandeur, and I don't think sharks have any more self-awareness than that. I could be totally wrong, though, just my best educated guess as a veterinarian and student of animal behavior. :) In this situation I actually think the risk from that particular shark was minimal - but I still wouldn't have been in that water at that time.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

nelz

What are you guys are talking about? Is there a video, link, pic?  ???
Nothing is showing on my computer.  ???

sdlehr

Quote from: nelz on January 19, 2019, 03:48:21 PM
What are you guys are talking about? Is there a video, link, pic?  ???
Nothing is showing on my computer.  ???
Yeah, click on the 4th word (blue) in the first post.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

nelz

Thanks Sid.    Wow, that's one fat shark!

Rivverrat

In the tree bizz there are whats called Widow Makers. Usually a tree thats been dead for some time with all bark fallen off. A fella can do 99 of them & #100 will kill or maim you. There will always be those that will climb such trees to wreck them out, with out so much as bore cutting the base & checking the saw dust / chips for punk wood.

Some horses dont want to be rode, some trees shouldn't be climbed. Some times ones skill & knowledge is up to these tasks.... Swimming with Great Whites ?

Nah, best observed from boat or beach while on the end of my line... Jeff  

philaroman

actually witnessed a Darwin Award candidate, in person:

dumb young broad w/ loaf of Wonder,
waving a slice at a wild black bear 20yds. away
closer to the bear, than she was to her minivan
lucky it was optimal berry time & he wasn't in meat-mode

...pre-cellphone/Internet, otherwise I would have made her stupidity famous