South Oahu Shutdown Mahi Axtion

Started by Tightlines667, January 11, 2019, 04:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

We took advantage of the nice weather, and government shutdown to plan a midweek NMFS & NPS employee fishing trip. Six of us loaded on my friend's (new to him) 1999Cabo35 (Sea Bum) and left Iroquois Point Marina at 0600hrs. We rigged up 2 dozen ballyhoo, Carolina dink style, and ran south 8nm before finding the temp break.

We set out a 7 bait spread and within 20mins has a rat pack of Stripers grab the center and long rigger baits. We were late on the drop backs due to not seeing the bites in the glare, so we got one jump each and no hook sets.

45minutes later, a small Blue smashed the short rigger while launching sideways, again missing the tiny hook since there was no time for the prescribed dropback.

Within 30 minutes we found a bird pile of White Terns and mixed Boobies with small mahi cutting the water. First pass took a double nockdown, hooking and landing the second.

Worked the birds a while longer and picked up another small mahi on the long rigger.

Birds broke up, we headed towards the 500fa, and took a light pickup with missed dropback from a presumed (bait was crushed and torn/not bit cleanly) Striped Marlin on the long center. Worked the area some more, no takers.

Went back uphill and picked up a nice textbook cow on the long rigger in the blind.

Found the birds again at the exact same spot as before, and picked up a double on the long lines again.

Lost the birds, worked downhill again and late afternoon I hooked a nice bull on the center. He showed himself on the bite, and I dropped the bait down his throat before sticking the needle hook derp in his throat. I coached the NMFS fisheries biologist from AK througout the 35 minute fight on 50class standup gear, and made a clean gaff shot. This was the largest fish she has ever caught so we made a gyrotako print for her to hang on the wall.

Great weather, good fishing, and great company made for a great day on the water.

I hope this furlough lasts awhile longer so I can get some more time on the water.

John

BTW Jay's 4 year old son reeled 2 of the Mahi in, adding to his list of a dozen Mahi, 2 Striped Marlin, and a Wahoo caught this year.. not bad for a little guy.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Pics...
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

More pics...
Hope springs eternal

Hardy Boy

Nice ! That's the way to make the best of a not so great situation.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

thorhammer

If you don't like that, go play golf! Awesome, love those cabo's!

Good call form Alan on POM status!

Gfish

Cool!
That last picture on the 2nd post says it all! Photo of the month?
John you're the first one I've heard talkin bout the Gov. partial shutdown, that had a positive spin on it. I guess too many of us'er livin pay check to pay check...
Gonna see if tomorrow I can get out far enough, for Mahi action.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Can't beat a paid vacation.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

conchydong

Nice work, even the "small" Dolphin in Hawaii are decent size.

Scott

oc1

Quote from: Dominick on January 11, 2019, 08:11:22 PM
Can't beat a paid vacation.  Dominick
Especially when you already get weeks of paid annual leave.  Bite tongue, bite tongue, bite tongue.
-steve

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Benni3

Over the top,,, :D very great job,,,,did you time travel in to the past to get these fish,, ;) it so difficult now to do this,,,, ;D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tightlines667

This month's Hawaii Fishing News.
Hope springs eternal