Painting pitted chrome rings

Started by Reel Newbie, January 17, 2019, 08:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Newbie

So I was going through my reels today and thought that there should be another way to reuse the old pitted rings on my surfmaster. I was thinking of a way to prevent corrosion on the surfaces, but also wanted to hide the chrome loss on some parts and get some new aesthetic. Would it be a good idea to scuff up the chrome and spray paint the rings with just gloss black rustoleum universal? Or would it be better to prime and spray rustoleum enamel on?

Dominick

Newbie, search this site for paint, painting etc.  There will be information where other guys have done that.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

my bench grinder has a stone on one side and a wire wheel on the other.  sometimes what i'll do is go after all of the corrosion with the wire wheel and clean it all up.  it removes the corrosion and the loose chrome, leaving a dull mat finish on the chrome and the brass underneath.  there just really isn't a good way to fix this.  what i really wish was to be able to find a way to re-chrome all the parts, but that is just too difficult.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel Newbie

I guess so, but just leaving a lot of unchromed brass out seems as though it might promote corrosion. Not that a little grease won't help, but to be completely honest the brass sticks out and the rings don't look as nice. I as thinking of painting them black, and read some where around here that bbq paint might be able to hold up, being that it was used on Newell stands and posts. Any thoughts?

alantani

nah, it really is a battle you will never win. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

If you paint the rings with Rustoleum it will look like someone painted the rings on an old reel with Rustoleum.
-steve

Frank

I'm on my third day of trying to remove the paint from two Newell spools, two Newell rod clamps and one Newell star. All are aluminum with black anodizing underneath. They sat in aircraft paint remover for 24 hours and have been in the ultrasonic cleaner for a day. I'm about a third of the way done. The paint might not hold up on brass but it sure sticks to aluminum very well. PM Jerry" Reel Man". He used to work for Newell and might be able to give you some tips. I know he paints Newell parts to this day.

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

mo65

You can paint anything if you put your heart into it. This pair of rings was a candidate for the round file...but...I cleaned and sanded them just to see what would happen. I wish I had a better pic of them right after the spray bombing. They've been on that little 180 for a few years...and not a single chip has flaked off! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel Newbie

Now that is a nice paint job on that 180! I'm thinking of some black rings for a burgundy squidder with a Newell spool. How'd you do it? What paint did you use?

mo65

Quote from: Reel Newbie on January 18, 2019, 05:01:00 PM
Now that is a nice paint job on that 180! I'm thinking of some black rings for a burgundy squidder with a Newell spool. How'd you do it? What paint did you use?

That is spray can enamel. Spray paint comes in many grades. Don't waste your time with a $2 can from Dollar General. Auto parts places have quality spray paint...shop around. Paint will not stick to chrome, so you need to remove all of it, or much easier, just sand it. Use a light grade like 320 grit and sand in circular motions. What you're doing is actually adding light scratches to the chrome, which will make your paint stick. Apply very light coats...until the color just covers everything. Thick globs of paint won't dry right and will chip off easier too.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

chockpish

One paint that I've had success with is Duplacolor! There an automotive paint company, they have paint for just about any part on a vehicle that can be painted! They have some for carpets, vinyl, dash etc... I used the header exhaust paint! It can withstand heat and also anything else that can fly up from the road! The reason I tried the exhaust paint, it is resistant to salt and corrosion from the winters we have here! I figured salt from the roads in winter, to saltwater fishing it should hold up well! I tried it out on an old Mitchell 300xe, and I did not do the greatest prep work, it was more of trial, I sanded, primed, painted, it came out pretty well! I fished for the season, the paint held up!  You can get all different types of primer and paints, for different metals in a pretty good selection of colors! Just a suggestion! ;D ;D ;D ;D :) :) :) :)

Tight lines and be safe!
Tight lines, be safe, fish hsard!

Lunker Larry

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Frank

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.