Penn Main Gear

Started by Reel 224, January 05, 2019, 05:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I found the worn main gear in a Penn Battle 4000 with no signs of weir except in this gear. It has 1 spacer between the top bearing and the gear as well as the bottom. I think the main gear is backing off just enough to cause it to slip, I purchaser one more spacer for the top for downward pressure to see if that will help.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

xjchad

Depending on the amount of play in the gear, adding a spacer may put it in preload and put sress on the housing. Try just moving the bottom spacer to the top to shift the gear over.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

handi2

There should be no shims on the backside of the main gear.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Any issue with gears on newer penn spinners get replacement gears and they are fine after.
Once they have engagement issues, they are usually toast.
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Quote from: handi2 on January 05, 2019, 10:02:29 PM
There should be no shims on the backside of the main gear.

This is the way I found it Keith, The owner is the only person that's had this reel, and he has not serviced it. I think it was a weak spot in the gear train. The gears are only pot metal and not to strong. I think Penn should improve on the metal they are using.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

There is a shim on the main gear, but I'm not sure you guys mean the opposite side.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/btl4000.pdf

I have found these on most spinners, could have 1 or a few more. Shins are a good thing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 05, 2019, 11:31:21 PM
There is a shim on the main gear, but I'm not sure you guys mean the opposite side.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/btl4000.pdf

I have found these on most spinners, could have 1 or a few more. Shins are a good thing.

Sal

Sal; I have the same schismatics, but the reel has two 1 on the handle side bearing and 1 on the opposite side of the main gear. It was stuck the the bearing and you could easily miss it.

I have to see how the new gears mesh too see if extra shim stock is needed. These reels don't have a precision fitting gear box. The BTL 4000 is light and it could have been hung up a few times fishing and tugged on to free the line so to strip a gear or three. The pot metal is not so strong to take any force time after time. IMO

Joe