Benchtop Crimper

Started by Frank, January 01, 2019, 01:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Let me begin by stating that I have no prior experience in crimping wire or mono leaders. Always tied knots and used haywire twists. I reviewed Google quite thoroughly this morning and ended up buying a Dennis Braid heavy duty hand crimper for the boat and I'm thinking about a benchtop model for the shop. I would like to purchase an American made product and wanted to hear some input from you guys before doing so. They are not exactly cheap so I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks!

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

RowdyW

I got mine at Bass Pro Shops for $19.95 and it works great. Up to 80# mono I still tie a knot but above that & for cable I use crimped connections. For solid wire I use a Hayward twist.       Rudy

Frank

Thanks for the input, Rudy. I'm doing haywire twists and knots too and I always wanted to give crimping a try. It looks so nice and neat in the larger diameter lines and wire leaders. Glad to hear you like it.

gstours

If your using alum crimps on mono a hand pliers type swager work pretty good up to about 2.3mm.... Larger crimps, and repeatitive crimping the larger hand held and benchtop crimp/swager sure is nice.  Brass and Copper crimps need more pressure than the soft Alum sleeves.   The hand held one is portable if thats a consideration.  Best of luck.

Frank

Quote from: gstours on January 05, 2019, 06:50:36 PM
  If your using alum crimps on mono a hand pliers type swager work pretty good up to about 2.3mm.... Larger crimps, and repeatitive crimping the larger hand held and benchtop crimp/swager sure is nice.  Brass and Copper crimps need more pressure than the soft Alum sleeves.   The hand held one is portable if thats a consideration.  Best of luck.

Thank you, Gary!