Penn Oil

Started by RamseyReelRepair, August 09, 2018, 02:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamseyReelRepair

So i used some Penn Oil on some conventional reels i worked on but i feel like i feel a difference between that and other oils. Its like the Penn Oil is thicker in a way. What are yalls thoughts?

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

xjchad

I use Penn oil on some stuff also, but I also think it feels a bit thicker.  Mostly I use ReelX or CorrosionX.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Tiddlerbasher

I have tried many oils - but I now only use TSI321 (guns and tool joints too) :)

thorhammer

Well, it's probably not as slick for spool bearings as TS321 or Corrosion X, but that's the trade-off...it will give more protection longer, most likely. Depends entirely on your application. If you are looking for free-spool and distance a lighter oil may be better, but you'd have to service more often. For a trolling reel riding in a gunwhale, I like heavier lubes, and I pack non-spool bearings with penn blue.

RowdyW

What other oils are you compareing it to? Other oils in general is a very large field. There are hundreds of reel & gun oils available. Penn oil is sold by Penn & has been used for many years without a problem. Have you preformed any real tests to see what the viscosity is compared to "other" oils? There are specialty oils on the market that can be better but how much do you want to spend only to find out it isn't much better. The oil recomended by the "Boss" is TSI 321 at about $10 for 2 oz. plus s&h. Each bearing only needs 1 or 2 drops. It's too expensive to use to lube an entire reel. Most of the older Penn reels are not casting reels so you are better off greasing the bearings rather then oiling them. Grease stays put a lot longer then oil. Are you customers going to come back every month or two to have their reels torn down and reoiled?            Rudy

RamseyReelRepair

Has anyone tried D-funk reel performance? Its an oil but its suppose to clean and lubricate as well. It from Bass Pro.

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

STRIPER LOU

I've been using Lucas fishing reel oil at the shop for 3 or 4 years now. Blue green in color and lighter in weight than  Penn oil.

It seems to be a good in between mix. Thin enough for bearings and heavy enough to last a while. I also like the fact that it has a SS pin oiler nozzle.

................Lou

Cuttyhunker

Nothing lasts forever in salt water, just keep after them and live with the patina
Doomed from childhood

xjchad

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on August 09, 2018, 07:35:28 PM
I've been using Lucas fishing reel oil at the shop for 3 or 4 years now. Blue green in color and lighter in weight than  Penn oil.

It seems to be a good in between mix. Thin enough for bearings and heavy enough to last a while. I also like the fact that it has a SS pin oiler nozzle.

................Lou

Lou,
After I read this I got a bottle for myself.
Great results so far, thanks for the recommendation!
Chad
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on December 21, 2018, 05:39:25 PM
Quote from: STRIPER LOU on August 09, 2018, 07:35:28 PM

................Lou

Lou,
After I read this I got a bottle for myself.
Great results so far, thanks for the recommendation!
Chad

I saw when Lou posted this too...gonna try it when I need to buy oil again. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

George6308

Been using Penn supplied oils and grease for years, both the older oils in tubes and the newer oil in the plastic bottles. I also have a 4 oz container of Breakfree CLP mainly for firearms. Sometimes I grab the Breakfree for reel use. I also have an unopened container of Lucas oil both fishing and gun, haven't tried them.
I have noticed no difference in any of the lubes except the tubed Penn Reel Lube is thicker than the newer oils.

foakes

For years I have used WRL 191S synthetic oil — along with Yamaha Marine Synthetic Blue grease.

For bearings — they get cleaned with lacquer thinner and an ultrasonic cleaner — rinsed, dried, then dropped into a small jar of WRL 191S while I work on the rest of the reel. 

If I want great free spool — they get just a little grease, or none.

If I am looking for maximum salt protection — straight Yamaha Marine grease.

Another thing I do, is mix the oil and grease before injecting into the bearings — the viscosity is lessened by whatever percentage of mix I need.  Generally for a fresh water reel that also needs long term protection — about 50/50.  If less protection is needed — more oil than grease — or whatever works the best. 

The WRL 191S and Yamaha really mix well — stay in place and function well for years — then washes out easily when the next service comes along.

I buy the oil by the gallon — and Yamaha Marine by the 14 oz. tubes.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

My oil of choice is still TSI 301 and 321, I also like reel-x.
I've been using many different types of grease for the past 6 years, just to compare.  
Some were : Penn- Super Lube- Reel Butter- Valvoline Red- Yamaha and Shimano Dura Ace Premium.

All are good, Yamaha is better, but to me Shimano Dura Ace Premium is best.
I use Yamaha all the times, but on my personal reels I use Shimano...too expensive to use on all the reels and don't want to charge if I don't have to.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Miles Offshore

I am Dissapointed that Penn quit making their synthetic reel oil. I was using it on my industrial sewing machine as well as my reels. The stuff they are selling now is definitely thicker.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.