Chinese ABEC 7 bearings

Started by Tagged, January 15, 2019, 12:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tagged

They finally arrived!  Three weeks on a slow boat from china. 

10 3x10x4 bearings for less than $12.00.

And they're ABEC 7

Bwahaaaahaaahaaaa!  Hahahahahahahahaha!    Heehehehehehee!

hold on, let me catch my breath......

Heeeheeheheheheheeheheheee.

Tagged

Tagged

Ok, seriously. 

These things are bad.  Like, if they were 200% better, I'd be disappointed. As it is, they're just laughable.

Don't waste your money.

I removed the shields and tried cleaning them.  It did no good. 

I spun them with a drill to "break them in."  Nope.

After removing the shields and cleaning all the grease out of them, I used can air to spin them up, and see how long they'd spin.

The air did not spin them.  Not even one revolution.   

These things are ba-a-a-a-a-d. 

Now before you start arguing, and saying that the air-spin freespool is not a good test of a bearing, no matter how clean.....  hear me out.  When you turn them, you can feel the grit.  I've driven down smoother gravel roads, and I live in rural South Texas.  Somewhere in the French Ardennes forest, there's a muddy cobbled road thinking these would make a nice paper-bag-Friday-night date, if they'd just clean up a bit.

Wow.

Dawn, can I order some real reel bearings, please?

Gfish

Very funny! I esp. enjoyed that obscure reference about the French Ardennes forest. And now I godda look that one up...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

ABEC 7's have very tight tolerances and aren't what I want in a reel. I think 3's were what Newell used. I like 5's. ABEC ratings are about the tolerances, not the quality.

I've been down roads in the Belgian Ardennes that resemble that remark!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

sabaman1

Boca Abec 5s !  :-X Especially if your putting them in your personal collection! ;)
JIM

exp2000

These are cheap Chinese bearings. The worst of the worst which is reflected in the price.

When manufacturing standards are this bad, ABEC ratings become irrelevant.

The de facto minimum standard for ALL Japanese bearings is ABEC 7 and they will out perform any Chinese bearing any day of the week.
~

oc1

The ABEC rating refers to the design tolerances and does not proclaim the bearing to be good or bad.  A high ABEC rating might improve the odds of getting a good one but there is a lot of variability.  There are people who test individual bearings, pass judgment, and sort them based on something like free-spin time.  The ones that are rejected are still marked with the ABEC rating and are passed on to the next guy.
-steve

mikeysm

They are checking the balls for size and how round the ball is. They sort them and grade them as such. If they are electrical grade they will have a C3 at the end of the number. This means they have more clearance for heat expantion. All the small bearings come from china now. So its hit and miss on weather you get good bearings.

Mike

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tiddlerbasher

Reel Beaker

So.... how do i buy a good bearing?

Gfish

Quote from: Reel Beaker on January 18, 2019, 10:52:54 AM
So.... how do i buy a good bearing?
Yeah. Come on, someone's gotta have some kinda experienced advice that comes close to the bottom line for your personal stuff, or, special requests for repair businesses. So-far it's: Japanese made, or Bocca ABEC 5's. Could for example, Bocca sell garbage? and if so, how could you avoid it. Do the Japanese companies farm out some of their manufacturing? Would price dictate quality?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!