my new Sharky project reel penn 116L 12/0

Started by steelfish, January 16, 2019, 09:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Alex, I couldn't come up with a handle, but I did come up with a nice arm from a 50VSW that fits that sleeve- you'll have to try it and see if the knob hardware fits the hole. Do you need clamp kit or turnbuckle brace kit, or both?

i have some brace bits as mentioned but i may have more after i build my CC 9/0's. Lemme see this week what it's gonna look like.

Shark Hunter

Alex,
I can send a new stock handle, drag kit and side plate.
There is only one catch.
You have to catch a shark on it from the shore. ;)
It has the steel gears, so that is a plus.
Life is Good!

steelfish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 22, 2019, 11:54:23 PM
Alex,
I can send a new stock handle, drag kit and side plate.
There is only one catch.
You have to catch a shark on it from the shore. ;)
It has the steel gears, so that is a plus.

you're making it hard amigo to decide amigo Daron,
let me see if Im ready for that quest

hmmm Challenge Accepted !!

sending you a PM
The Baja Guy

Darin Crofton

Looking good buddy! I want to see some video of said shark being caught  ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

steelfish

Quote from: Darin Crofton on January 23, 2019, 03:13:11 AM
Looking good buddy! I want to see some video of said shark being caught  ;D

HAHA me too, I also would like to get a video of a shark caught on the beach

this zone of Baja is not known for good shark fishing from the shore, the tide goes long way when is low time, you can do clam digging because the bottom of the sea get dry for 1/2 mile or 800mts two times per day, the low tide gets steady for 2 or 3 hours them the high tide starts and it takes normally 4-5 hrs average to get to the normal point on the beach, and so on, every day, depending on the moon calendar some days the movement of the high and low tide are more notorious than others, thats one of the reason surf fishing is no bueno here even fishing with bait, cuz the current when the tide is coming is pretty strong even a 8oz spider lead gets returned by the current, normally for some surf fishing action I need to drive 2hrs south, the low and hign tide are not the same than here in San Felipe and you can do some normal fishing

so, this challenge needs to be performed in my favorite place, the beaches of Gonzaga Bay.
The Baja Guy

Darin Crofton

Wow, what an adventure that sounds like, hope you get to do it!

Shark Hunter

Alex,
Dug out your parts this evening.
Have the sideplate, 2 new bearings, two handles, Metals for the drag stack and Delrin's for top and bottom, but I can't find any drag washers.
I will cut them for you next weekend.
I have a lot going on and I'm not getting in the cold garage tonight.
The handles on the bottom are going to Darin.
I have been keeping him waiting too.
Trying to keep everything in Balance takes all I have.
I apologize for the delay Compadre,
Daron
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 28, 2019, 04:37:04 AM
You're a good man Daron ;).

Sal
You got that right, Sal! Thanks for the handles, Daron!!!

Shark Hunter

I Learned from the Best. ;)
Just trying to keep my word.
It is always good, it just takes me a little time these days.
Life is Good!

steelfish

Daron my man, no need to apologize compadre

I have no hurry to finish the big 12/0, so take your time,
I really appreciate it, sharks also appreciate if you take more time to search for the parts.
just wait for a warm day to take a look on that cold garage.

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Good man Darin, at least you don't have to put the beer in the refrigerator, unless you don't want them to freeze.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Punched your drag washers last night Amigo.
My Methods are crude, but effective. ;)
Life is Good!

steelfish

well, with a little bit of shame but also applying the old saying, its better late than never, I took this project reel back to the working bench for good.

it was a really cool reel to work on it, one can see how the things were made back in the 60's-80's, some steel parts of the reel are as good as when they were new, others you can see the pass of time but still in pretty good shape, anyway, I decided to take the reel and ATTACK each part that needed work (actually all reel parts needed a lot of TLC).

first I worked on the main gear and pinion
check how it was the set when I took them out the reel
20190121_201713 ss.jpg

some rust remover, sanding and vinegar was use to clean the main gear and the pinion
20221119_222613 ss.jpg
20221119_222631 ss.jpg 

check the quality of the steel on this pinion!! this thing might have 40-50 years and looks as good as new
20221119_224853 ss.jpg
The Baja Guy

steelfish

then I moved to the spool, which has some rust and bit of pitted green corrosion on it, I left it on a bath of vinegar for a complete day, them cleaned it really good, did a light sanding on the pitted zones to leave it smooth, then I proceeded to put a light coat of white primer, then a coat of blank paint for automotive motor parts and lastly a coat of polyurethane as clearcoat protection.

the rust remover did a wonderful work here, it brought the shine of the steel back on the spool, check the sides of the spool

20221118_135938 ss.jpg
20221119_155437 ss.jpg
20221119_155524 ss.jpg
20221119_155544 ss.jpg 

next it was the time for the bridge and sleeve.

this how it looks once cleaned and lightly sanded
20221119_222653 ss.jpg

but, HOUSTON we have a problem, one of the teeth of the sleeve is gone!
I dont know what kind of Sea Monster torn off a teeth of the sleeve like that, check !
20221119_222722 ss.jpg

luckily the rest of the teeth are still in good shape, it would be nice to know if that monster won the battle or if the sleeve was strong enough to fight the fish to the end.

20221119_222729 ss.jpg
The Baja Guy