Penn Mag Power 970

Started by satbchbum, September 14, 2011, 09:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john2244

The 970 is narrower than the 980 but appears to use the same side plate and rings.  The 990 is the same width as the 980 but taller and has different side plates and rings.

John

Aiala

I guess I'm S.O.L... rats.   :-\

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

intili

970 and 980 are same except reel seat and spacer bars. I bought my first 980 a few years back, and then converted it to a 970. I also bought a 970 last year. they are great reels. Parts show up on ebay all the time, I have seen side plates. and the rings from time to time. They do not share any parts with the 990, except for maybe the gear sleeve, but that may also be different. The 970 and 980 use the same gear sleeve, drags and handles as the 113H. I have a brand new RH side plate, but it is bare, only the phenolic.
let me know if you are interested in buying it, I will be posting in the for sale section soon, a nice collection of old school, upgraded penn reels, Alan and I go way back on this customization thing, before he had a website and became world renowned!

Aiala

Thank you, Intili, I appreciate the info. I've written to several of Scott's "Other Sources for Parts", not with much hope but one never knows. Also locked in specific searches on eBay, which is always a possibility. Sooner or later I'll find one... <fingers crossed>  :)

~A~

Irish Jigger

As John said the 990 does not fit your reel.
I checked with my UK Penn rep who may be able to locate* a LH Side Plate for the 970/980.
There are no Side Rings available and given the original price he quoted me that eBay one looks a bargain.
Apparently the Side Plates de-laminated but could be repaired using a suitable adhesive.

*Might take a week or two as Pure Fishing have acquired Hardys of Alnwick and are moving their headquarters and stores to Alnwick in the North of England. FWIW.

Aiala

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 04, 2014, 11:33:48 AM
I checked with my UK Penn rep who may be able to locate* a LH Side Plate for the 970/980.

Irish, thanks, that's most thoughtful of you. I'm striking out everywhere else I look, but perhaps I'll get lucky at some point.   :)

~A~

Irish Jigger

Thank's Aiala, I am fairly confident he will find one.

alantani

i found two 990 rings and a 990 right side plate.  that's all.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Porthos

Ailala:

Depending on what your original intentions were for your 980, if you are restoring it as a display piece, well, here's one option, abeit not a cheap one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-980-Mag-Power-Conventional-Fishing-Reel-FRC-5-/161221551185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25898da451

At that price, might ask for more photos to confirm that the reel is as pristine as the seller implies.

Aiala

Quote from: Porthos on February 10, 2014, 04:05:23 PM
Aiala:

Depending on what your original intentions were for your 980, if you are restoring it as a display piece, well, here's one option, abeit not a cheap one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-980-Mag-Power-Conventional-Fishing-Reel-FRC-5-/161221551185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25898da451
At that price, might ask for more photos to confirm that the reel is as pristine as the seller implies.

Hi, Porthos. (Great name, BTW; I'm a Dumas fan, too!)

Yes, I already checked out this offering. It's nice, but since I'm looking to restore my 980 so I can use it, not for me. Although I must say, finding the right sideplate is proving to be a bitc... um, very challenging. I appreciate the heads-up, though... thanks!   :)

~A~

floating doc

Keep watching, you'll find one.
Central Florida

Cone

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Aiala

Aiala

Quote from: Aiala on February 01, 2014, 05:11:15 PM
Does anyone know of a source for Mag Power 980 parts? I need a left side plate and inner gold metal rings, none of which are available at Scott's...   :P

I'd like to publicly acknowledge and express my gratitude to the_reel_doc (Larry S.) who, after more than six months, not only remembered that I was searching for a Mag Power 980 side-plate, but actually had one for me!

As has been stated over and over, this site is beyond fantastic, and its members are the kindest and most generous group I've ever encountered, on-line or off.  :D

~A~

floating doc

That's impressive! Kudos to Larry!
Central Florida