First reel overhaul - Carbontex question

Started by nwnick, January 18, 2019, 07:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwnick

Going to go thru a half dozen Tekota 500's and I order the Carbontex washers from Smooth drag
These will be my first rebuilds

I notice one side has a hatch pattern the other side is smooth - question is is there a top or bottom to these washers ?
I was going to stack 'em smooth side down

Thanks for the input in advance

Nick

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

Watch out or that little spring loaded pin under the star drag.  Not essential to the reel function and there is nothing easier to lose and few things more difficult to put back, but I like the way they have a click to them and a kind of positive stop in the star drag adjustment. 

nwnick

Thanks Alan and Dave

I'll give this a go tomorrow

Fingers crossed !

Lunker Larry

And watch out for those little washers on the yoke posts. Easy to loseif you forget they're there and you wipe out the reel
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

sdlehr

Quote from: alantani on January 18, 2019, 11:47:07 PM
doesn't matter!   ;D
If you think about it, if the carbontex washers contact a metal disc on each side, it doesn't matter which way they go in, there's always contact on each side with a metal disc. But I would think that one of the surfaces would be a more efficient drag material, and that they would've made both surfaces of that same material, whichever it is. Am I missing something obvious? I didn't look at the schematic...... are they purposely limiting the drag to avoid over-stressing the frame or stand? Never held or used one of these.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

WeyeFisherCO

Quote from: sdlehr on January 19, 2019, 03:30:34 PM
If you think about it, if the carbontex washers contact a metal disc on each side, it doesn't matter which way they go in, there's always contact on each side with a metal disc. But I would think that one of the surfaces would be a more efficient drag material, and that they would've made both surfaces of that same material, whichever it is. Am I missing something obvious? I didn't look at the schematic...... are they purposely limiting the drag to avoid over-stressing the frame or stand? Never held or used one of these.

sdlehr, The Carbontex (and all other carbon fiber washers) are punched out of woven sheets of carbon fibers.  I believe that the desired thickness has more to do with the surface texture than anything else - they laminate a bunch of layers together under pressure and high temperature to form the carbon fiber sheet.

As you pointed out, the CF washer is always sandwiched between 2 metal surfaces, so if it makes a difference it would be pretty small.

David