Tiburon spools for 146 Squidders

Started by Petah, January 18, 2019, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petah

Has anybody else had a problem with the 146 spool from Tiburon hitting against the bridgeplate???

Peter

Alto Mare

I have seen this on a few reels and not just the 146, Peter. Some reels need a little adjustment.
a shim on the right side would cure it.

By the way, you should be getting the Delrin dots by tomorrow.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Petah

Thanks Sal, I put two shims in and it still rubbed. I ended up dremeling the bridgeplate. Second time for me in 6 months a Tiburon spool has caused an issue. I wonder if they are aware of this???
Thanks again for the dots. I'm looking for a leather punch and maybe a set of wad cutters. I keep doing things the hard way and am getting a little tired of it!!!! Meanwhile I'll just make do with what I got!!!

Peter

Alto Mare

Two shims tells me there is definitely a problem. Is this the older Tiburon spool?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Petah

Sal,
      I was at Tiburon about 6-8 months ago when I picked it up!!! I had a similar problem on a different 146
and Robert asked if I could bring the whole reel in. We tried 3 different spools and they were the same. I had a Newell spool that was flawless in the reel which had us all confused. It came down to my right sideplate. I didn't understand at the time but I do now!!! Sorry for the lengthy story just wanted to let you know what had happened!!! So, I really don't know if it is NOS or brand new!!!!

Peter

Alto Mare

Not lengthy at all Peter, it is always good to get to the bottom of things...of course we still don't know what's going on in your case :-\.

I've personally started seeing issues with the Tiburon kits around 10 years ago, these were minor issues though, as the anodizing not taking on some areas and some screw holes not lining up, or drilled to the correct depth.
They always made it better for me though, but I still wasn't happy that it was happening.

I'm not sure if they are better now, the ones I've been assembling for some members here were all good, with the exception of a spacer here and there. Spacers are good when fine tuning, I never mind using them.

I hope your mystery gets solved.

Thanks Peter!

Sal

Bryan Young

I wonder if those are the spools that Alan returned and they somehow didn't get scrapped or reworked by mistake?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

otghoyt

Seen it on other size Tib/Penn kits as well and even more so on different colored spool/frame selections like black and silver.  Is black anodizing usually thicker than other colors? 

I had a black Hawaiian Wide 113 frame that looked like Powder Coat it was so thick.  Looked like it over filled the crossbar etchings and it was almost shiny.  The spool rubbed and I put that reel together ten different ways.  That spool just rubbed and that's all there was to it!  They stood good on them but then again, that's not the intended goal now is it? 

H~