Penn 320 GTI - Can't get case open

Started by retiredandfishing, January 19, 2019, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Working on a Penn 320 GTI and cannot get right side open.  Will slide slightly out a quarter inch or so but no further.  Tried prying but don't want to pry too much as it will scar the edges.  Anyone got a way of freeing this up?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

alantani

first, make sure the line leveler is in the middle of the spool.   now pull.  ok, no luck?  the spool is likely stuck on both sides, both the left spool bearing and pinion gear.  pull the bridge screws and the freespool lever.  you might have to pry the pinion gear off the spool shaft.  use the "two screw driver" method.  then you might have to pry spool out of the frame.   that will likely damage the idler gear on the left side plate.  this could really get messy.    :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

retiredandfishing

Thanks Alan.  I'll let you know it turns  out.

Steve

retiredandfishing

Thanks for the info.  Did get the reel open.  Yes you were correct.  Stuck on both sides.  Was able to wiggle the case and gain some more gap room on the left side.  Then inserted a spray tube of WD40 and directed the spray to the area I thought the spool bearing was in.  That worked.  Oil lubricated the bearing and it popped out of it's mount.  Then was able to do the same thing on the other side with WD40.  Bent the yoke getting it off, but that seems to be all the damage I did so reel should be usable once I get the parts.  Thanks again, Steve

alantani

carefully inspect the idler gears on the left side.  you will frequently damage them when you have to pull like this.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

retiredandfishing