Got some dinner with my Alcedo Micron

Started by jason_purdy, January 20, 2019, 02:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason_purdy

Launched my kayak on the Occoquan River (Northern Virginia) this morning to air temps around 29 and snow on the ground. My aim was to hit some bridge pilings in deep water to see if any crappie were around.  I was tight lining with a pair of rods as I worked around the edges of the structure. With very little action I pulled out my Alcedo Micron mounted on a Fenwick trout rod with 4# test. I began to shoot the gaps with a 1/16 oz jig and that was the ticket. Getting the jig up inside and between the supports starting putting fish in the yak. ;D The weather turned ugly about an hour after that, but I caught dinner ;). Tight lines to all.

-Jason

Dominick

Jason, you started out in ugly weather and you say it even got uglier? :D  Good job on the fish in that weather.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jason_purdy

Yeah, once the wind picked up and some sleet started I headed for the ramp.

bhale1

nice looking slabs,,way to go, but the reel looks awesome :)
Brett

gstours

Thanks for the fish story.  Everybody likes pictures.  You did good.  Sometimes you just dont know, butt now you got a meal and a memory.    as I ride my excersize bike i just get tired.   I want to go fishing something inside sez. ;)

happyhooker

thorhammer

Nice work! i didn't even want to go to the shop today because its 29!!!

Midway Tommy

Those Microns are nice little reels. A great winter meal! YUM!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

The Baja Guy

mo65

Crappie are my favorite in the skillet. That's also a nice combo you got them with...great fishin'! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gobi King

Good Fishing, I descale those and fry them whole
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

jason_purdy

Thanks fellas. It was nice to get a line wet-even if I had to chip ice off the guides. And the crappie were delicious  ;)

-Jason

Alto Mare

Things made in Italy from the late 50's, early 60's are tough as nails;D

Very nice...

I contacted my buddy in Italy to find out what this Matr. 1-101 means, he didn't get back yet

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Those are some nice slab sides, Jason!  Thanks for sharing the photos.

And the set-up you have with that Fenwick, 4#, and an Alcedo Micron — is a perfect combo.

These tiny Alcedo Microns are a true quality reel manufactured when the term "planned obsolescence " was not known by reelmakers yet.

In 1953, the Micron sold for $35.  An expensive reel when we consider that the average workers weekly wage was around $65.  So this little reel was an investment for the fisherman who was willing to pay half a weeks wages for a fishing reel.

Perhaps Sal — we may find that the MATR is some sort of patent term?  Looking forward to the answer.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

Quote from: jason_purdy on January 20, 2019, 02:14:24 AMI pulled out my Alcedo Micron mounted on a Fenwick trout rod with 4# test. I began to shoot the gaps with a 1/16 oz jig and that was the ticket.

wow, fishing with 4# test !!
the lower I have went is 6# mono and I felt it like it was going to break at any minute but it didnt of course, I was using a 13ft 23gr german rod (3/4oz lure) on a shimano 2500 reel, I was casting a 1/2oz spoon on the beach and caugh some nice corvinas and croakers
The Baja Guy