Got some dinner with my Alcedo Micron

Started by jason_purdy, January 20, 2019, 02:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 25, 2019, 02:34:43 PM
Things made in Italy from the late 50's, early 60's are tough as nails;D

Very nice...

I contacted my buddy in Italy to find out what this Matr. 1-101 means, he didn't get back yet

Sal

MATR (Matricola) in Italian, in this instance, stands for serial number.

Sal, it appears yours has a smooth rotor cup. (A little tough to tell exactly from the photo angle) In 1948 they changed from the straight leg to a bent leg, and 1959 they added a raised rib in the center of the rotor like the one below. Yours falls somewhere in between the two.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Thanks for the information Tommy. I like these reels, but I'm not crazy about servicing them. It would have been nice if they came with a pre assembled ball bearing instead of one that breaks down and the 17 balls drop out...I think it was 17, but I might be wrong.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 25, 2019, 06:51:29 PM
Thanks for the information Tommy. I like these reels, but I'm not crazy about servicing them. It would have been nice if they came with a pre assembled ball bearing instead of one that breaks down and the 17 balls drop out...I think it was 17, but I might be wrong.

Sal

Got to agree, Sal —

I have a few of these, plus a couple of the Japanese knockoffs — which were a nearly exact copy of these Alcedos at the time.

And to be honest, I hate to work on them — or fish them.

Got rid of all of my Alcedo Micron parts some years ago — to a fellow in Europe.  

Too much finicky — and too much finesse required for no good reason.

But if they are working OK — and serviced regularly — they do the job well.

Some day when I have the the time and area cleared — I might post my personal arsenal of about 100 ultralights and microlight reels that I either have used — or intend to use.

These are coupled with one of 10 rods — Fenwicks, Wright-McGill, Shakes Wonderods, Ugly Stiks, Kunnan, and some customs.

The reels include DQ Microlites in 265, 110, 110N, 1000, 1001, Penn 420SS, 4200SS, 101, 716, 714, Cardinal 3's, Mitchell 308, 408, Daiwa 500C, 700C, 1000C, other tiny Daiwas such as 7250's, small Shakes, and the rest are Shimano, Zebco, and other assorted Microlites.  They are all bagged, labeled, boxed and stacked in the corner within HD Keter firearms cases.

I do have a few favorites that I fish regularly though, when time permits.

Hopefully this year will be one of fishing a few times a month.

But to get back to Jason's thread — he did a great job with his vintage gear on those fat crappies.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jason_purdy

Fred,

If your collection could talk...Thanks Tommy, Sal, and Fred for the info. I feel like I learn just from paying attention to your tangents-kudos gents.

-Jason

Guldhamstern

"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new."
-Henry David Thoreau

larry3142

I love this Alcedo Micron I fish with it alot.I find its a simple reel  to take apart to sevice it, if you have the right tools and knowled of these reel .I have many other reels to fish with Mitcheel  308-408 Dam quick 265-110-11on mitchell 300 1954 i use for flouder and fluke fishing. I had the 265 brand new for a birthday present from my father in 1964 and its in mint condition.Went fishing last night caught 30 crapies

iI will be back tonight                       Good Luck with crappie fishing                 I live in Delaware on a title river from the bay to the alantic ocean     alot of stipers come up this river to feed on the bait fish caught many of them         
                   Larry