Interesting Handle Construction

Started by Hardy Boy, January 21, 2019, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

A fellow brought me a couple of moochers for service and new handles. He said he sheared off the two handles one day and had to make new ones in the boat. He said they were not ideal but they worked ............................. take a look: carriage bolt, lock nuts, nuts and electricians tape. just when you think you have seen it all. The new handles look a little better.

Cheers:

Todd

Todd

xjchad

Love the ingenuity! Cool that he had the parts on hand to keep fishing.
The new ones do look much nicer though  :D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Yup, sometimes you need to do whatever works. I agree, the new ones look sharp on that reel.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gman_WC

Boy that gives new meaning to knuckle buster.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Dominick

"Necessity is the mother of invention."  Plato  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Thanks for the pictures.  And was wondering is the silver one w hex bolts a quantum 5000 or a north coast mooching reel?  I,m familiar with the tiny cheesy knobs.   I,m assuming the yellow one is an islander?
   Show us what you replacement and technique is.   Keep warm.  Thanks 🙏

Hardy Boy

Those are both Trophy Tyee reels imported by a tackle company in BC . They are an Islander copy made in China (there are many now). The Tyee stock handle posts are weak aluminum and prone to break, even after they changed design which screws from the back (you can see the screw in the second picture inside the spool), earlier versions had a threaded post which screwed into the reel and they always broke or stripped. I replace with an islander knob and post, which are also a screw from the back, but are much stronger and better quality. These were a straight swap out. To swap on the older threaded post you need to drill out the threads and then counter sink from the rear( I modified a screw to do this) inside the spool.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

Thanks for sharing your fix. Islanders are pricey but they are worth it if you're going to fish this a lot.  I'm still wanting to try one but I've found a liking to my 5 inch arbor custom jobs. The knobs always get moved outboard will the spool mods.  I prefer the rubber shimano handle knobs. 
The knobs play an important part on the knuckle buster 🙅‍♂️.   It's the only way to go!

Gfish

Yeah, sturdy construction at stress/friction points is gonna make a reel cost and weigh more. But if I can see what's goin on, I'll pay more and take the weight. That's the trick for me, seein it before I bite. Sounds like a great fix Todd.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Decker