Penn Senator bearing "history"

Started by jzumi, January 21, 2019, 07:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzumi

My apologies in advance if this has been beaten to death.  I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction for more info.

A buddy has asked me to take a look at a 3/0 H Special Senator 112H he got in trade with one of his tenants and the star drag does not adjust.  It had dacron backing with steel wire line all on a shiny metal spool.  

I have it all apart and it looks like it does not have any ball bearings at all.  The schematic diagram lists 26-155 RS bearing and 40-60 LS bearing but neither looks like it could be considered a modern bearing.  Is this the correct way the reel is set up? Am I correct that this is why a person might "convert" this reel, in other words, replace the stone-age "bearings" with actual ball bearings? I believe I saw a kit at MysticParts that had a whole bunch of parts including ball bearings.  

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing that you don't simply drop bearings in, but have to replace the gears and sleeve and drag stack, etc. in order to make such a change.  Hence, most sane people would conclude that it's easier/cheaper/more logical to just purchase a different reel and service this one but keep it in its original configuration.

Bear with me, I'm a beginner,
John

RowdyW

The 112h uses bushings. I don't know of a way to covert it to ball bearings. Penn refers to their bushing models as having bearings but that is not ball bearings. Bushings & ball bearings are both termed as bearings. What you probably are refering to as a reel with either bushings or ball bearings is a Jigmaster. The 500 & 501 use bushings while the 505 & 506 use ball bearings. They are different reels but both are called Jigmasters. As for the 112h there is not much available to covert it to something else. It's a good reel as is.      Rudy

foakes

Rudy is right, John —

Penn calls these bearings — but they are more accurately bushings.

They were called bearings because they "supported and beared" the spool ends in proper alignment.

No reasonable way to change them out.

We need to remember that these have worked for nearly 100 years in Ocean City, Penn, and nearly every other conventional reel —

So, just clean them up — and lube with good oil such as TSI321, or similar — they will be good for another 50 years.

If they are rough, or distorted from heavy trolling with wire line — just install a couple of new ones.  The parts are readily available and inexpensive.  I generally replace the bushings on an older Penn — if it exhibits  the slightest sign of wear, slop, or binding.  No comebacks — and a happy client.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jzumi

Thanks for the responses.  I think I'll just clean and lube everything and button it up after I ask the owner if he wants to invest the $15 to replace the bushings and still end up with a reel that has some significant weaknesses and limitations.

Personally, I'd not use this reel for fishing so I wouldn't even put the 15 bucks into it.  Thanks again for education me!

John

Dominick

That's a great reel.  Go for the $15.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

RowdyW

If you don't think that a 112H is worth a $15 investment then you can send me all the complete 112H's you find & I'll give you $15 each. It's definetly a good reel & worth repairing & using.

oc1

Quote from: jzumi on January 22, 2019, 12:19:22 AM
a reel that has some significant weaknesses and limitations.

Ball bearings are much more likely to fail than bushings.
-steve

captquint99

Quote from: oc1 on January 22, 2019, 08:00:01 AM

-steve

I prefer the penn bushings/berings over ball berings. Just cant beat the simple bushings for heavy duty daily usage.

Gfish

Quote from: captquint99 on January 22, 2019, 01:26:07 PM
Quote from: oc1 on January 22, 2019, 08:00:01 AM

-steve

I prefer the penn bushings/berings over ball berings. Just cant beat the simple bushings for heavy duty daily usage.

Agree. For me it's the corrosion/ease of maintenance/ cost of replacement factors. Are bushings if fact, tougher than b.bearings?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

akfish

The Chinese 112H2 reels have ball bearings but are otherwise almost identical to the US-made 112H reels.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Don't let the marketing hype cause you to disregard this more than capable reel.  The current trend to go to roller bearings and higher and higher gear ratios are nothing less than marketing BS for MOST of our needs.... 4:1 is all needed for MOST of our fishing.  Plain bearings work well and will out last a roller bearing in the less than perfect conditions we sometimes fish in.  A "worn out" plain bearing will function where a worn out roller bearing will not.  You still need to lube them but there is nothing wrong with plain bearings.

Quote from: foakes on January 21, 2019, 08:35:25 PM
Penn calls these bearings — but they are more accurately bushings.

In industry they are called "plain bearings", needle and ball bearings are "roller bearings".

https://www.tstar.com/blog/what-is-a-plane-bearing-or-is-it-a-plain-bearing
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

jzumi, I feel ya regarding your thoughts on the 112. A lot of the fellas here grew up with Penn Senators being
able match up well with most any reel made.

Their simplicity & seldom matched durability is still appreciated by many.

After some time working on other reels & gaining more knowledge the Penn Senators while maybe not as refined, the 4/0 in its many variations has earned my appreciation... Jeff

jzumi

Well, perhaps I should think this through.  I've seen too many fish lost to some of the junked out reels that my fishing buddies insist on never maintaining and that has led me to politely insist that poor quality and/or poorly maintained gear not be brought aboard.  Maybe this is something I just have to get over.  I mean, as much as I hate losing a fish because of bad gear, it is, after all, only fishing.  I do it for enjoyment, not for my livelihood.  If friends want to use junk and risk losing the fish of a lifetime, I guess I should be okay with it as long as they are having fun.

And maybe I've gotten too anal.  I retie all my leaders after use.  I sharpen the hook at the time. I'm the one maintaining all the reels and rods, as well as the down riggers and everything else every year.

Now, getting back to that 112H.  Yeah, I could get her running fine but I know what is likely to happen.  I'll put on 30 lb mono and my bud will fish it and maybe have great success.  And then I'll see it again in 4 or 5 or 9 or 10 years and it will have a funky drag and braid stuck in the spool gap and a big salmon rolling over and swimming away.  And none of us will be thinking, "wow, that is so fun."

Bottom line: I'm going to rebuild this reel and get it going.  I'll hand it to my friend and I'll let him know that we have much better reels on the boat.  I'll let him decide whether to keep it or put it on eBay.

Who knew reel maintenance could lead to introspection and personal growth?  I thank you all.

John

xjchad

John,
I can see where you're coming from!

BUT, if your buddy fails to maintain his 112H and causes all kinds of headaches, is he really going to maintain a newer, "better" (more expensive) reel?
Just wondering...
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

If it's for someone who doesn't take care of their gear a 112h would be a good reel. Less moving parts and things that can go wrong. Also there's a good selection of up grades to increase performance greatly. Less parts less headaches
Do what you can with that you have where you are