Reel lamp ideas

Started by Christopher M Songer, January 22, 2019, 07:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Found this lamp at a resale shop for $6. I have a few reels I will never use and thought I would be creative. Let me know which version looks good to you.
I do not think I will keep it but sell this at a sportsman flea market next weekend. I need to thin the herd anyway.
Always go forward, never go straight

Christopher M Songer

I think I am leaning for the first two on this page but the second 2 pics are growing on me. Than again I might keep it.

gstours

I,m liking you ideas.  adds a little country to any room.   Sometimes i wish i was a kid again.  very nice idea.   thanks for sharing. :)

philaroman

you do know that's actually a Beer Lamp?   ...more unusual & interesting than reel lamps, IMO
can't tell if it's a half-yard or shorter, but the glass itself is worth many times $6 (decades ago, the deposit on a full yard was $60 & I'm pretty sure that bar bought lower quality, wholesale)

reel mounted on main stem, leaving the yard-stand function as intended, gives you a unique Beer/Reel Combo

Christopher M Songer

Thanks for identifying this as a "beer lamp" the glass is just under 12 inches. We have a "Pub/game room in our home that might be well suited for this lamp as intended. I could use it next to my work bench for those long nights tinkering with reels. Not exactly the Alan whisky bar set up but hey.

philaroman

at least, my misspent youth is good for something  ::)

sdlehr

If you do end up with a reel on the lamp, use one of the conventionals, and fit the lamp switch with a pull-string switch connected to line on the reel. I don't think I can claim that as an original thought, I think it was discussed on Fred's thread on lamps a few years ago.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector