Are the Records still being produced?

Started by orsteelheader, January 23, 2019, 09:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orsteelheader

I only ask because I saw a 61 recently in a store for $125 and thought it was a good deal. There seems to be no information on Abu G website. I really like the C3s and will soon be hotrodding a 6501. The Record already appears to have many of these upgrades.

Thanks,
Jay
Enjoy the ride!!!

They don't appear on Abu's current website.  With Pure Fishing having announced that parts are no longer available for older reels, I have to wonder how long parts will be available for the Record, it not being a model made in huge numbers or for decades.  I stayed away from the Record as I always suspected the odd internal spool bearing of being a gimic.  To replace it you have to buy a new spool and being in the spool susceptible to constant deluge of water.

Gfish

According to what I saw on the Tackle Tour website, they brought it back around 2005( originaly produced in the 1920's---?)and it's place in Abu pecking order was a notch below the Morrium baitcasters. Sounds like a pretty good reel at that price point. Tackle Tour seems to me like apretty good reviewer, with a lota technical and testing data, on the other-hand, they do have alota advertising associated with their reviews...

"orsteelheader" is that for Oregon steelhead fisherman? If so, whereabouts in" Ory-gone"? I've lived in K-falls, Summer Lake, Bend and Trail.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

orsteelheader

I was very tempted at that price but I'm really happy with the C3s, some with upgrades, some with just routine maintenance.

Yes, I'm about an hour SW of Portland in the Dundee Hills. I haven't fished for steelhead in a while, mostly fly fishing with a Tenkara rod recently and most recently back on the jetty at BArview.

Jay
Enjoy the ride!!!

steelfish

Quote from: orsteelheader on January 27, 2019, 03:36:03 AM
I was very tempted at that price but I'm really happy with the C3s, some with upgrades, some with just routine maintenance.

Jay

if you are happy with the c3 I think you should get that Abu Record while is still available.
as soon as you handle it you will feel the difference, Record feels rock solid and give you the confidence to use it on bigger fish that the regular c3, Im telling you cuz Im also very happy with my 6500c3 for anything inshore and beach fishing and recently got me a used Record 60, ooh boy, no wonder abu factory put the Record reel just below the Morrum models.

and for parts availability, in my way of fishing I havend needed a part for my abu 6500c3 in many years, hopefully same deal with the Record 60.

The Baja Guy