Serious issue encountered with 112H double dog bridge!!

Started by rscotth, February 02, 2019, 03:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rscotth

Hello,
I travel on business and bought a Pro Challenger DD bridge for my sons 112H (3/0) a while ago but unable to install until today. It was his first build and has a SS (Tani) bridge sleeve, Bryan's drag stack & an Accurate frame from Randy Pauly and have all been great upgrades. 

Today we went to install the bridge but were having issues with the the clutch engaging. After a few dis-assemblies and trying to troubleshot I noticed the longer of the two dogs was not operating. Long story short I noticed the dog is partially covering the upper bridge screw hole. This was forcing this dog to not engage on the gear. So at first evaluation I'm thinking "no big deal" I will Dremel down the dog for clearance. So I gain the clearance I need and took off about all the material I felt comfortable with just to maintain some integrity on the dog. I reassembled and the same thing- no engagement! That's when I realized that this hole is the upper bridge hole & has the clutch springs on the outside. I really don't want to take off any more dog material and will probably just run with a single dog which is a serious bummer.

So the big question is.....has anyone else noticed this issue? If you assembled it as is you are probably operating with only one functional dog.......

Darin Crofton

I bought two of them, but haven't installed yet. I hope someone has a solution...
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

rscotth

Well, there are some really really smart people on here and maybe I am overlooking something with this (I am just a hobbyist). I know Sal commissioned the prototype and that guy is a freakin genius. Just waiting for some of the "heavy hitters" to chime in and guide me along- lol

Honestly, the only reason I noticed this was because I was making this so the dogs would alternate and it wouldn't report when turning. This dog is practically invisible due to it location and would be very difficult to visually verify it's operation. It would (audibly) stop when fully tightened and operate when the bridge screws were loose and gained some clearance.

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

It looks to me like what is contacting the dog isn't the spring but the yoke. The jack sits on the bridge, the yoke sits on the jack, and the spring on the yoke. This pic of some old pieces shows how they stack up under the bridge. Just off the top of my head...a flat spring would ease your pain. Cut a slot through the spring post (if it's big enough) and bend the flat spring into shape.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

That is the solution mike, I have two also. I will try revering the dogs first

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mikeysm

What you need to do is to remove that dog and use the stock dog on that side. Or send it back and let Alan deal with it.

Mike

Swami805

I have 2, I put one in the narrow kit from Randy and saving one for a stock width when I get some plates. It does have alot of play in the handle. I'll have to open in up and check it out. If it's hitting the yoke would it make sense to take some meat off the yoke where it hits? the yoke is stainless so it should be plenty strong.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reel 224

I'm only guessing but the picture I see I would reverse the dogs/switch them to see if that doesn't work.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 02, 2019, 05:16:16 PM
I'm only guessing but the picture I see I would reverse the dogs/switch them to see if that doesn't work.

Joe

My bridge plate went east to replace one I destroyed trying to repair so I don't have one to look at but I think I had the dogs that way.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

I'm sure a solution will be found and everyone will soon be happy with their bridge. We need Alan to see this and weigh in on his plan of action..... so everyone hold onto your hats, take a deep breath, and I'm sure this will be addressed shortly. All the pictures I find of this bridge look the same.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

This is not a big deal — we all need to realize (and most of us do) that these custom upgrades and parts occasionally have a glitch. 

Alan C. and our other great custom makers have ALWAYS addressed any issues and corrected them properly.

Most of us are grateful for the clever custom parts in SS that are offered here by our reel component upgrade makers.

Patience and confidence in the integrity of our members — who offer these upgrades that we all enjoy — is appreciated by everyone.

There are at least 5 ways that I can think of to address this issue by substituting, drilling, tapping, slicing, and grinding.

But I think the best way is to just let Alan C. figure out the solution — and offer a recall when that is accomplished.

Thanks for everyone's patience and classy cooperation!

I have every confidence that this will be handled properly for all concerned.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Swami805

I have no doubt this will be resolved and we'll have dogs clicking away. You've gotta like the collective head scratching going on. Always going to be some glitches here and there when going outside the box.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Black Pearl

We are looking into it. We will come up a solution one way or the other. It might take couple weeks, due to the Chinese New Year next week. But, someone is coming up a solution as we speak. In a meanwhile, if a refund is requested, just let me know.

rscotth

So, i ended up trimming the dog a bit more and slightly modified the yoke as well. The dog I machined some slots for the spring to grab onto and it does not slip off. I mocked this up with the brass yoke & jack and as you can see it has clearance and both dogs function as designed. I did ensure I had enough yoke for the spring to have plenty of foundation for any unexpected movement. I will test this on some trigger's if the marine forecast ever subsides here and report back but i'm really confident I won't encounter any issues. 

Does this mean I have the first functioning alternating double dog 112H for this production line?  ;)