having your reels fixed here ......

Started by alantani, March 17, 2009, 06:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

marcortez

Penn Fathom 15 star drag.

Out of the box and brand new, the free spool was lousy. A spin of the spool would result in that spool coming to an abrupt stop after spinning 2-3 seconds......Not a gradual slow down and stop.

Used the reel twice and casting a 1 1/2oz Kroc on a 7' rod with 15# line, resulted in the lure dying in mid flight and falling straight down.

Took it apart (major mistake) and it's WAY to complicated for me to reassemble.

I bagged up all the parts and want to know if you will accept this reel for whatever service it needs to get the free spool right and reassemble?........

I don't have the invoice and am not concerned with any warranty claims.

My window for return time is about 3 to 4 weeks.

Thank you,
Dale Clark

Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy.

alantani

Bryan, anybody,  can you help Dale? Joy busted off the key in the door of our apartment here in Paris. I'm sitting here in this stairwell waiting for the building manager while they shop.  Somebody get me back to Italy.

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on July 14, 2016, 06:05:17 PM
Bryan, anybody,  can you help Dale? Joy busted off the key in the door of our apartment here in Paris. I'm sitting here in this stairwell waiting for the building manager while they shop.  Somebody get me back to Italy.
😂😂😂😂😂
Sorry Alan, it sounds funny.

Dale, I'll send you a PM.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

cavalier

Hi Alan,

Need your help. I have an old Stella 10000FA in very good condition. I had picked it up second hand three years back & have been using it without any problems till date. I have caught several big GT's without any issue. Only now , when I tried to sell it , did the prospective owner point out that it has excessive play (3/16")in the rotor shaft. Could be because of worn worm gears , pawls or pinion gears. I stay close by in Sunnyvale. Can you take a look & resolve this issue. Time is not an issue here.
Regards
Pratap Nair ( Cavalier)

alantani

Swing by and I'll take a look.  I'll send a pm.

cavalier

Thanks Alan, presently out of the country. Will drop by on return.
regards
Pratap Nair

mispiretaluis

Hi Alan: I have a Valiant 300 Accurate single speed reel that has been only trouble. After a few uses for flounder in Mid Atlantic area, it locked up (as two other Valiants did for fellow fisherman of the group at  about the same time). Sent it for repair and came back, did not use it for a year and only used 2 weeks ago when locked up again. Just talked with the accurate C.S and got the same song and dance o salt and sand. Cant believe it after 2 hours of use. I am interested on having an independent look to simply satisfy my curiosity, and of course to get it repaired. I would be very appreciative if you would accept it. 

alantani

Quote from: mispiretaluis on June 21, 2018, 04:45:39 PM
Hi Alan: I have a Valiant 300 Accurate single speed reel that has been only trouble. After a few uses for flounder in Mid Atlantic area, it locked up (as two other Valiants did for fellow fisherman of the group at  about the same time). Sent it for repair and came back, did not use it for a year and only used 2 weeks ago when locked up again. Just talked with the accurate C.S and got the same song and dance o salt and sand. Cant believe it after 2 hours of use. I am interested on having an independent look to simply satisfy my curiosity, and of course to get it repaired. I would be very appreciative if you would accept it. 

yeesh, sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble.  i'm pretty swamped, but i'm happy to take a look.  i'll send you an email.  thanks!!!!!  alan

wolvie

Quote from: alantani on June 21, 2018, 06:28:11 PM
Quote from: mispiretaluis on June 21, 2018, 04:45:39 PM
Hi Alan: I have a Valiant 300 Accurate single speed reel that has been only trouble. After a few uses for flounder in Mid Atlantic area, it locked up (as two other Valiants did for fellow fisherman of the group at  about the same time). Sent it for repair and came back, did not use it for a year and only used 2 weeks ago when locked up again. Just talked with the accurate C.S and got the same song and dance o salt and sand. Cant believe it after 2 hours of use. I am interested on having an independent look to simply satisfy my curiosity, and of course to get it repaired. I would be very appreciative if you would accept it.  

yeesh, sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble.  i'm pretty swamped, but i'm happy to take a look.  i'll send you an email.  thanks!!!!!  alan

Curious about the outcome, if any.  I have a bv300 for with the drag lever got quite stiff and the overall smoothness suffered after 4 or 5 day trips.  When I sent it in for the free service, they replaced both ARB's plus 6 bearings and the tension cam.  That is all well and good when it is free service, but that is going to cost $50 with shipping on a yearly basis on my dime.  Of more concern is it needing such service more than once a season, as i won't have it to use while it is in for service, and it will double the yearly cost.  As this was a new reel for me, I took significantly better care to rinse it and wipe it down than my other reels, which seem to not have have suffered as much from the salt, so I am wondering how to minimize the issue.  They are all sealed bearings so "pull them out and pack them with grease" seems like a start  I am not terribly concerned with free spool as I use it mostly for tog.  

The other approach is to replace everything with ceramic bearings.  Wondering if anyone found an approach that works?

Now that it is back up to snuff, maybe I will send it for "pre-treatment".  

alantani

the last of a mixed box of reels. the squall is interesting. on the outsides of the left spool bearing and the pinion support bearing, are thrust bearings. i mention this because this is the exact design that we talked about years ago. people have suggested taking the shortcut of a single angular contact bearing on either side, but i've found that to just not work. the angular contact bearing is basically a lousy radial bearing and a lousy thrust bearing, all rolled into one. the real answer to the "side load" problem with lever drag reels is go with separate radial bearings and separate thrust bearing, just like the arrangement that you find in the squall. penn did it right!

Sarahs12

Quote from: alantani on November 26, 2018, 05:00:57 AM
the last of a mixed box of reels. the squall is interesting. on the outsides of the left spool bearing and the pinion support bearing, are thrust bearings. i mention this because this is the exact design that we talked about years ago. people have suggested taking the shortcut of a single angular contact bearing on either side, but i've found that to just not work. the angular contact bearing is basically a lousy radial bearing and a lousy thrust bearing, all rolled into one. the real answer to the "side load" problem with lever drag reels is go with separate radial bearings and separate thrust bearing, just like the arrangement that you find in the squall. penn did it right!

Blue fin

Hi Alan

I have a couple of reels that need to be serviced .  One is a small Avet that just seems way too rough and the other is a Shimano TLD25 that works when it wants even though it's hardly been used.  The 1st Shimano fail I've ever had.  Just a few ???.  Do you still do repairs and an idea as to what cost would be?  And turnaround time even though it's not an issue.  I have more gear than I can use.

Thanks
Bill

alantani

I've got about 200 reels in line right now.  I'll send you a pm.

Gman_WC

Quote from: alantani on February 06, 2019, 01:36:12 PM
I've got about 200 reels in line right now.  I'll send you a pm.
So day after tomorrow?  ;D
-g
Walnut Creek, CA