My Next Project

Started by Midway Tommy, February 26, 2019, 07:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Picked up this crazy  ???  modified Cardinal 3 "Frankenreel" for pretty cheap yesterday. It just so happens that I've had a correct, new black, Cardinal 3 rotor sitting in my parts drawer for about 10 years now waiting for the rest of its carcass. Also have an unused correct handle, bail, arms, plates, springs, black drag knob, etc. Who'd have thunk? When I get her done she'll be like new.  8)  It should arrive towards the weekend. I'll keep y'all posted on the progress.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Looks like patch-work repairs; know you'll put 'er right, Tommy.

Frank

Midway Tommy

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would do such a hideous thing to a reel as valuable as one of those tan Cardinal 3s.  :o Takes all kinds I guess.  ::)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Shark Hunter

They just didn't know Tommy.
Great find! ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 28, 2019, 03:58:07 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would do such a hideous thing to a reel as valuable as one of those tan Cardinal 3s.

I think that neat reel was just waiting for the right person...you, Tommy!

Looking forward to seeing it back to original — after you work your Mojo on it.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Eeek!! For the love of God, restore that thing to it's original form Tommy! ;D

https://media.giphy.com/media/8OlT82jKm6Ugg/giphy.gif
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Well, "Frankie" arrived in Friday's mail. Much to my surprise, and delight, what appeared to be reel seat rash in the sellers photos was nothing more than cork, and probably some catfish bait, stain!   :o  After disassembly and parts cleanup it looks like a brand spankin' new reel!  8)

I took photos along the reassembly process and once we get the bulk photo upload back in working order I'll post a complete Cardinal 3, and another Cardinal model, tutorial. Here are a couple of the pics: Ready for assembly, part way through and all completed. It turned out great!  :-*  

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Thanks, Tommy!

That is one great little reel, and rare...

You really brought it back from Transylvania!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ReelFishingProblems

That turned out beautiful, like it belongs in a museum

Whit

Rivverrat

OK, I'm now lusting after another old reel. There is absolutely I could own one of these & not fish it. I must find one ! ... Jeff

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Whit

Taa daa!!! Looks excellent!  congrats!