STAR DRAG ON SPINNERS

Started by Alto Mare, September 25, 2011, 04:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutman561

Star drag and the handle is on the wrong side. What sort of sorcery is this?!

Gfish

I've seen more star drag systems on closed-face spincasters than the open-faced spinners. There's a couple in my brothers collection. YES! Now I gotta good excuse(reason) to escape domestic "bliss" and do some explorin my last day here!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: troutman561 on July 17, 2017, 10:48:08 AM
Star drag and the handle is on the wrong side. What sort of sorcery is this?!

::) Clearly someone from the "wrong handed" crowd's "better idea".   ;D

BTW, it's not an entirely new concept. Bronson had a handle drag 65 years ago in 1953 on its much smaller Sprint 400.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Spincast drag-star system. On this one the line winder(spincast rotor) lets line out under star drag pressure. The gears turn backward with the rotor, while the shaft, anti-reverse cog & handle are locked against reverse by the side plate dog. Good: almost all metal and fiber components(push button & knob are the only plastic). Bad: no clicker. Never gonna be that smooth with rotor turning to let out line, insteda having the spool turn(which is fixed to the reel body on this one). Having the spool turn against drag pressure, is the usual way spincasters do it. The rotor has no rollers for reducing winding friction either.
I actually got this one right straight back together, first try! And I still don't exactly know how every component works...
Gfish
1st picture: R to L, shaft; friction washer; big cup shaped main gear; thick fiber washer with spring in its grove that moves the dog into place when handle rotated or when line's bein pulled out against drag pressure; anti-reverse cog(keyed to shaft); side plate with dog(hard to see); and other standard star drag external parts.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Here's some more of the same concept. They're all '63/'64ish Shakespeare made "Punch Button" under rod spincasters, i.e. 2 Shakespeare, South Bend, Sears & Ted Williams. The strange, yet interesting, design didn't last too long, but they're a cool add to the collection.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Gfish

Cool! Thanks Midway. I prefer the drag wheel location on these, to the dial-on-the-reel-body type. You got a favorite?
I got a Diawa Goldcast a few years ago, mainly cause they incorporated an ossilating spool system. Best spincaster I ever owned. Based on my childhood zebco spincaster learning to fish experiences, I really always wanna have one handy.
Gfish

Midway Tommy

No, I don't have a favorite ( ;D laughing), they're actually a pain in the rear to use with that punch button in the back.  ::) Besides that, my most hated drag adjustment is a star drag. It seems like that big ol' star always gets bumped on something and changing the drag set just about the time I really need it to work correctly. My second most hated is a drag knob on the spool. Seems like the line is either in the road for adjustment or the stupid friction on the knob loosens and lets the tension change a little. My favorite drag setup is the "fulcrum" style with the drag knob adjustment on the bottom rear of the body, out of the road and easy to adjust on the fly.   ;)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oc1

My mother's favorite reel was a green South Bend spin cast.  I don't remember the model but the shape was like a 77.  Either my memory is playing tricks on me, or the drag would be adjusted by tightening or loosening the spool cover.  There may have been a tab on the fulcrum that the spool cover would move up and down.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on July 18, 2017, 07:24:53 AM
My mother's favorite reel was a green South Bend spin cast.  I don't remember the model but the shape was like a 77.  Either my memory is playing tricks on me, or the drag would be adjusted by tightening or loosening the spool cover.  There may have been a tab on the fulcrum that the spool cover would move up and down.
-steve

SB had a couple of models where turning the front spool cover adjusted tension on the rotation of the spool/dome.

This one has a notched rim on the back of the spool cover. If you look close you can see a little spring tab on the bottom above the foot that rests in a notch to hold the brake adjustment setting. Hers was probably a similar design.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Lot of different spincast reels over the years --

Some under rod -- some over.

50's -- 60's.

Tommy, here is a pretty strange one -- Bradco, comes in green or blue.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Just ran across an old Johnson Guide 160 spincaster.  It has a star drag adjustment AND an internal drag as well.  Advertised as something that would keep your line from breaking (?).  The internal drag was preset at the factory for 15 lb. test line, but could be adjusted via a nut inside the case.  Somehow (I have not completely grasped the concept yet), you could "activate" the star drag by turning the reel handle backward. 

I've seen a few online accolades for the Guide as maybe the best spincast reel ever by Johnson; I'm not a spincast expert, but I'm wondering if a dual drag setup is enough to make a reel something that is head and shoulders above something else.

Frank