Heddon reels

Started by Swami805, March 20, 2019, 03:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Chester (Festus) asked about a Heddon schematic so I'll post the sheet I have and if you see a specific reel on there you need to look at I'll post a close up. There's a bunch on here but it's not all of them.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Swami805

Here's the 215 Chester
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

festus

Quote from: thorhammer on March 20, 2019, 01:25:46 PM
is that the green one?

Yes, every Heddon spinner I've ever seen have been two-tone green.  Most are cheap online, often shipping cost more than the reel.

festus

Swami's schematic was put to good use, I was able to determine I had a some shims in the wrong location and the anti-reverse spring wasn't installed properly.

This little Heddon 215 is more like a toy, weighs 6 oz, no line guide, external bail trip, and very few parts.  It reminds me of my first spinning reel, the old Zebco 707.  But this Heddon is mostly metal except the spool, the Zebco was mostly plastic.  However, it has a fairly good spool diameter, so loaded with 6 lb mono it should cast pretty well.  I'll probably give it to either my granddaughter or great-grandson.  

Thanks again, Sheridan for the schematic.  

festus

I had a Heddon spincaster in the early 1970s, seems like I bought it and a Penn No. 79 conventional the same day and got change back from a 10 dollar bill.  The spincaster was also two tone green, seems like the brake adjustment knob might have been red.

No idea how they crammed a bail spring in such a small area.  It's working fine, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on March 20, 2019, 01:44:01 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on March 20, 2019, 01:25:46 PM
is that the green one?

Yes, every Heddon spinner I've ever seen have been two-tone green.  Most are cheap online, often shipping cost more than the reel.

Their earliest US made open face spinners were black or burgundy, and one that had white nylon as part of the case. They also sold a bronze & red USA made semi-open face style, photo below, spin-cast (100) and under-spin (200) in the early '60s. In the late '60s there were some, like the 281, 282, etc., that were the darker green, only. Towards the end, in the mid '70s, the 225, 226 & 227 were dark brown with a gold rotor cup, but most of the Japanese Daisy-Heddons were the two tone green combination.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Quote from: festus on March 20, 2019, 06:30:12 PM
I had a Heddon spincaster in the early 1970s, seems like I bought it and a Penn No. 79 conventional the same day and got change back from a 10 dollar bill.  The spincaster was also two tone green, seems like the brake adjustment knob might have been red.

No idea how they crammed a bail spring in such a small area.  It's working fine, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Festus, what's the tan/gold reel in the background of your picture?  Old Compac?

Frank

happyhooker

It's hard to find schematics on some of the old Heddons.  That sheet of 'em is nice.

Frank

festus

Quote from: happyhooker on March 21, 2019, 01:56:08 AM
Quote from: festus on March 20, 2019, 06:30:12 PM

Festus, what's the tan/gold reel in the background of your picture?  Old Compac?

Frank
Yes, that's a Compac, pretty much the same thing as a Shakespeare 2200.  They are very smooth reels, plus they have metal spools.  I think Pflueger had their version of the same reel, but I'm not sure of the model number.

happyhooker

I've heard the Spin Pal 100s and 200s have a worm gear drive.  Anybody ever crack one open to see? 

Frank

festus

That sheet of Heddon schematics that Sheridan posted earlier in the thread is commonly for sale on eBay.  I'm going to post all the spinning reels.

festus

festus

festus