Langley Spinator 870 (thought it was close enough to a Zebco)

Started by FlipFlopRepairShoppe, April 03, 2019, 01:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Just picked this reel up, she needs some work, but I figure this is the place to come to find out what she'll need.  The reel foot needs alittle file work to smooth out a badly chipped upper edge, and part of the bail mechanism will need some serious de-corrosion work. She should be here in a week, and then a teardown will ensue.  Any tips are very welcome.

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

Midway Tommy

It's the same as a Zebco, Zebco purchased Langley in '62. They are simple to take apart but be aware that to remove the rotor cup there is a small C clip right behind the pinion gear. It's tough to see & sometimes covered with old grease. Don't lose it when it pops off. Also, Langleys are noted for having their handle knobs freezing up or getting stiff. If it's stiff or frozen soak it in hot, but not too hot, water for a little while, get it to free up by spinning by hand, not a drill, soak it as many times as needed to get it loose, then lube it with some synthetic oil & keep working it. Post it up once you start working on it. I've been into a couple of them in the past. Here's part of my little herd.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Oh wow, that's a beautiful collection!  Thank you very much for the tip on the handle.  I researched this reel alittle bit when I was hunting her down, and saw your post about that c clip.  Is it possible to clean the reel properly without removing the rotor cup?  I don't want to risk damaging a part that I can't replace.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

Midway Tommy

I doubt you will break it, but little C clips can be found at hardware stores like Ace, etc. Take it off in a plastic bag or in a tub/bucket so the clip doesn't go flying into outer space.  ;D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

You are a treasure trove of knowledge, sir!  Thank you so much for the advice.  I've had small parts going flying before, and the bucket trick is always a good approach.  I spent three hours chasing a small screw around a linoleum kitchen floor once (sounds laughable, but it was a critical part with a special thread pitch and I'm lucky it didn't go down the drain). 

Because I'm going to be doing alot of night fishing I'll more than likely be pitting my new reels against sail cats and sandbar cats, as well as the odd shark.  Think they're good for it, or is this abuse for them?

George6308

Does the anti reverse work? It's activated by a small rubber part that breaks off. If not ORCA has a repair article on their site.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

I don't have the reel in hand yet, but that is one of the first things that I will check.  Thank you very much for that tip.  Have you fished these reels, sir?

George6308

Mine needs the anti reverse fixed. It’s on my to do list. Reel Schematics has the break down and parts list on line under Zebco list.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

festus

l suspected Zebco bought out Langley.

What is this reel, Tommy?

Midway Tommy

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Midway Tommy

Quote from: George6308 on April 03, 2019, 03:24:47 AM
Does the anti reverse work? It's activated by a small rubber part that breaks off. If not ORCA has a repair article on their site.

For some reason my feeble memory tells me that the two bigger reels, 860 & 870, have a different set up, but it's been awhile so I can't remember for sure. Either way it's a simple repair. We'll see when FFRS get's his reel, and to answer his earlier question, yes, the rotor needs to be removed to do the repair and clean & lube those parts.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

I will be sure to take detailed pictures of my strip and clean, when she gets in.

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 03, 2019, 06:55:38 PM
Quote from: festus on April 03, 2019, 01:20:26 PM
l suspected Zebco bought out Langley.

What is this reel, Tommy?

Their toy  ;D, the 707.
I thought so, or maybe a Swiss Whiz. My first spinner was a 707. Terrible reel.

Those Spinators look interesting.  Maybe l'll get one. Would prefer the Langley.  I have several Langley cousins, l wonder if they know about these.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

After trying to take a couple of reels fishing and finding out that they were shot, I took apart the Langley, not expecting much.  Boy was I pleasantly surprised at the setup that was in there.  Solid gears, one bronze and one of an undetermined but hard metal and what seemed like bronze bearings on the cam, where it touches the reel body.  She was gritty and sticky with old grease but once she was all cleaned out and relubed with blue marine grease, she runs like a charm.

When I got the reel she was set up for a left hand user, which I thought was odd because she wasn't marked as a left hand model.  The gearbox can be switched from side to side on this model.  I switched her back to a right hand dominant setup after cleaning her up.   Then I took her out for some fast jig work on a sandbar.  Nothing was biting but I still had a blast.  Took a buddy out on the shore for his first time saltwater fishing.  I set him up with my DAM 270 on his Daiwa surf rod.  Amazon was running a sale on these so we picked them up for about $20 apiece.  Lots of wind snarls, but that was probably main due to operator error on both our parts.

Here she is sitting pretty on my Daiwa FT 9 foot.  Cheapest rod I've ever bought, but has a fast enough action to make heavy jigging fun.