Another Rod Wrapping Jig

Started by Tennessee, October 05, 2011, 10:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee

This is a little wrapping and drying jig I made up from some old futon oak. It will accommodate rods up to 9' using the extension and a 3rd table. The thread tensioner will hold 4 colors. The uprights are from some maple scrap I found under one of the benches. I use a bungee / ball to keep the blanks in the vee's. I made an attachment that has 2 motors one 12 rpm and the other is a 4rpm . I bought the chucks from mudhole.

I like the v-blocks for supporting the blanks and they are lined with felt so no scratching the finish. I found I like the extra drag on the blank for making tight but no too tight of a wrap. Roller vee's made me crazy as there was a tendency to unwind if I let it go. Just me.

The blank in these pics is an old Garcia Blue Fiberglass. You can sure tell the difference and actually I think I like the glass a little more than graphite but doesnt have the sensitivity of graphite. Its a favorite for top water though.

Nothing is more fun than when a plan comes togeather

I just love it when I catch something!

redsetta

Nice set-up Tennessee.
Looks like a real quality finish to the whole unit.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Snagged2

Hey Tennessee,,

That looks great.. !! and Functional.. Very nice work..
Thanks,
Greg

Tennessee

thanks guys. its been handy and not counting the cost of the futon maybe I have $20-$30 in it. I don't make a lot of rods at least not like many rod builders so speed isn't anything I get excited about. It takes me a couple days usually maybe 3 or 4 sometimes start to finish.

Alto Mare

Very nice jig Tennesse. This is coming from a carpenter with over 35 years of experience  ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

I'm always amazed by the talent on this site.  Way to go Tennesee.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tennessee

I do enjoy working with wood with my background as a machinist  I do have a tendency to make things a little tight. In this case the uprights in their slots are an nice interference fit so I can press them in and out with just a little effort, that's been real handy, initially I cut them slightly thick and sanded them to fit. I need to increase the slot width a few thou so the bolts are not quite so tights sliding them takes a moment longer than I like.  I need to use some 600 and take a dusting down the length of the opening, when I spaced the the two oak lengths for the bolts I used the bolt and it would have behooved me (I just love that word :D) to make a wrap or 2 around the bolts with some tape to provide a tad of clearance.  

Working with wood will never be like working with metal. I really admire you guys who can saw a straight line. I just joined the site recently and it is so informative. I really enjoy it.

Feel_theBITE

WOW ! been looking everywhere to find a DIY wrapper/dryer...Search is over !! It migt be asking too much, but can you share how you made that, and what kind of motor you used? I have an old cordless hammer drill, and batteries and charger is dead. So I want to use the motor for something...maybe not applicable, but i want to repair my own rods...I have the VHS of Doc Ski on how to wrap rods, but I don't want to spend alot of money for the machines...nice creation ! Oh, one more thig, what level of expertise is require to make something like that ?

kamuwela

quality wood work for sure. thank's for sharing it with our member's
                                             aloha
                                             kamu     

wallacewt

hi feel-thebite
motor out of microwave for drying
sewing machine motor for binding+the foot control.

Feel_theBITE