Collecting B-Grade Spinning Reels

Started by mo65, April 20, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Have we got a good definition for "B-grade reel"?

Frank

Dominick

Quote from: happyhooker on April 23, 2019, 01:51:09 AM

Frank

I was getting ready to ask the same question.  What is a B-grade reel?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Quote from: happyhooker on April 23, 2019, 01:51:09 AM

Quote from: Dominick on April 23, 2019, 03:26:08 AM
I was getting ready to ask the same question.  What is a B-grade reel? 

I was wondering how long it would take for that question to pop up. Think of it like the old B-grade monster movies at the drive-in theater. While they weren't made on a large budget, and they were a bit "cheesy", they were still a blast to watch. Some of these reels I'm calling B-grade aren't really that in construction...but more so from a collector perspective. For instance, let's take a Zebco Cardinal 3 and a Shakespeare 2062. Both reels are great reels, but while the Cardinal 3 brings a premium, the 2062 can be had for pocket change. But, for the most part, a B-grade reel is something like a South Bend 800 series. Something not prized by collectors or fishermen. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

There are a few unworthy of a B-grade.  I owned a couple during my teen years.  I'd give my first spinning reel, the Zebco 707 a D.  Plastic, no anti-reverse, but really light weight, barely good enough to learn to cast a spinner.  The Daiwa 7270 would deserve a C.  It was mostly metal, cost about 2 bucks.  No line roller, had an anti-reverse, but it was able to handle smallmouth buffalo fish up to 10 lbs.  Only reel I can recall that deserved an F was the Swift.  I never owned one, but saw a few.  Cost a grand total of 2 bucks including a telescoping 5' rod. Never seen one that would work, but the rod was ok for catching chubs, shiners, or sunfish.  There was another brand, the Sportsman I'd give a C.  I never see those on ebay or craigslist, but were common, at least in my neck of the woods during the 1960s.

thorhammer

I've been thinking about this one....I know a few Stella enthusiasts that would call anything else a B reel. personally for grand, i better be getting a giant BFT or marlin reel that will still have parts support in five years. I like Mike's definition. I have a few "off" reels that compare very closely with the metal Daiwa's of the 80's- Olympic, MIJ Zebco, Heddon, and a Walker given by my FIL that is a beast- knurled handle nut like a DAM, all metal, BB MIJ. If only someone made brass mains for some of these guys in bigger sizes, wow.

Crow

Most of my "favorite" reels aren't even "B" grade....more like "C" grade ! :D
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Midway Tommy

Just as beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, quality is in the mind of the critic. There are a few of what, in this day and age, the elites consider "A" quality reels that, if given to me for free, would be sold immediately for whatever I could get out of them to be replaced with a half dozen reels that will still be catching fish when that "A" reel is in the junk box wishing it had replacement parts. I shall refrain from naming them, though, as there are multiples in that category.  ;)  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on April 23, 2019, 01:35:27 PM
   I was wondering how long it would take for that question to pop up. Think of it like the old B-grade monster movies at the drive-in theater. While they weren't made on a large budget, and they were a bit "cheesy", they were still a blast to watch.  Something not prized by collectors or fishermen. 8)

myself been a fan of the old monster B-movies though that Mo was applying that definition to reels and seems that I wasnt wrong.

Tommy is right tho, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and quiality in the mind of the critic, all brands has the economic line of gear, the mid section line and then high quality & flagship gear, in my mind, flag ship and mid line grade are not B-grade gear, just like you have never heard about C-grade movies (C-rated movies are a different talking)

The Baja Guy

foakes

Those of us who enjoy using and working on spinning reels — will all have our own opinions.

These are mostly, at least for me — based on known and proven durability, parts availability to me, toughness and capability to handle the occasional large unexpected fish easily, and dependability using solid materials that turns into multi-generational longevity.

These will include — DQ, ABU & Zebco Cardinals, Penns, Mitchell's, Daiwa's, and a few others like Shakes, etc..  And many of these brands have "clinkers or duds" that I stay away from.

Mostly, for me, it is based on Nostalgia and good experiences.

And, a reel that is a good value, is also important.

The $$$ we pay for a reel has little meaning to whether or not I will fish a reel.  There are $300-$400 reels that I would not use or buy.  Plus others as low as $15 — that do a fine job.  Just got to sort them out — as to our favorites.

That is why I have a personal arsenal of around 100 spinners that I keep ready, and expect to use.

Few of the earlier reel brands are still around today.  And of those few — most have been merged, outsourced to Asia, or bear little or no resemblance to the name on the side of their body.

Exception would be Penn.

A person can find one of the above mentioned reels, restore it with care and a few key parts — and have a reel that will outlast them for the rest of their lives — catch fish reliably — and not break the bank.  They will have perhaps half as much invested in a 45 year old spinner — compared to a modern Tupperware marvel that will need to be tossed in a few years — since Parts will have dried up, and materials will not hold up.

So, at the end of the day — it is all personal preference about grading reels.  And that is good!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

I took that Daiwa A-130RL apart last night. It was for the most part typical...the materials and construction you'd expect in an early '80s Daiwa. I was glad to see the bronze bushings indicated by the yellow arrows in the first photo. Most reels from this era have no ball bearings, and few have any bushings/bearings at all. The second pic reveals an odd drag stack, a 3-stack with a leather disc in the center, flanked by two teflon discs! Hey...whatever...it works just fine. I'm beyond shock when opening drag stacks. Seems there are no rules. :D

Reelmeneer

Very nice catch!! good pic's, nice to see!

Enjoy,

Regards,

Ed

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Being a new guy in this hobby, I'll throw in my two cents.  Maybe it will be useful to another new guy or girl.

A grade reels (to me) are any of the super robust fishing reels that have worm drives and bronze gears.  I won't name names because I've seen prices on reels jump after they were given alot of exposure. 

B grade reels (to me) may have some of the desirable features of the A grade reels but will often have some, but not all, pot metal parts.  They're probably decent fishing reels but have a much higher chance at failure. My list of B grades is worth mentioning, to me.  Ocean City spinning reels, Ocean Star No. 36s, Compac Cadillac III reels, and Olympic No. 83 reels (I think they're the same), any pretty much any similar reel.  I wouldn't pay more than $15 for any of those reels, and I won't buy any of them going forward.

C grade reels.  I can't really comment on them because I don't own any.  I think they'd be pretty easy to spot and would feel pretty cheap in the hand.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

basto

Quote from: thorhammer on April 23, 2019, 02:31:31 PM
I've been thinking about this one.... If only someone made brass mains for some of these guys in bigger sizes, wow.

Spot on man!!!  There are worm drive Daiwas made in 70`s to 80`s that would be still going if only they had a brass or bronze main gear.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

Someone is probably spewing their coffee right now, saying "What the #@%&...a Quick in the B stable??" Well boys and girls of all ages, it's true, even D-A-M Quick joined the slow boat to Asia in the late 70s/early 80s. Now even though this reel isn't as robust a build as the German Quicks, it's no piece of crap either! Below is a photo of the series this reel belongs to. The 111 has some cool design features, let's take a look at them. 8)

The AR system is great. It offers on/click, on/silent, and off. It's positioned before the gears, so undue stress on that alloy main is held off nicely.

Then there's the adjustable spool height...no shimming around on this guy...just change slots to adjust for lighter/heavier line. Sweet!

The "pettycoat" labyrinth design keeps line from entangling behind the spool.

The main gear appears to be an aluminum alloy and rides on a pair of bronze bushings, and there's a ball bearing on the brass pinion.

I like that bail spring release too, the little black lever allows the bail to fold back for storage. The handle folds in too. Notice the line roller is missing? Bet that is unobtanium!

The owners manual describes these and other features. For a closer look at the owners manual and schematic follow this link:     https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28378.0

foakes

These are very decent reels, Mike —

Parts are the only issue.

My opinion is that the worst DAM Quick reels (and there are no bad Quicks — just that some are better than others, just like anything else) — can barely see all of the "B" grade reels in their rear view mirrors.

Nice collection!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.