what can be dangerous?

Started by hafnor, October 14, 2011, 12:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsorcs

In going through a few threads re lubricants, I became curious about how most folks are cleaning reel parts; then, I found this thread!  I am quite new to the site, but I've spent a bit of time cleaning various and sundry metal parts on a deuce-and-a-half, woodworking machines, and the odd hand tool, and have learned early on to use brake cleaner for no-residue cleaning at the part level.  Only problem is it has to be used either outdoors or in a very well ventilated area...I do it outside or, when I had one, at the front of the garage with the door open.  It's what I'll use when I service my spinners and conventionals the next time [sitting outside under an umbrella], as it dissolves petroleum greases and oils readily and should get the metal parts squeaky clean, not sure about some synthetics.  Plastic ware will get warm/hot water and Dawn or a bit of TSP.
Bill Steinkampf

Seine:  A kind of net for effecting an involuntary change of environment. For fish it is made strong and coarse, but women are more easily taken with a singularly delicate fabric weighted with small, cut stones.

Ambrose Bierce

franky

I'm wondering about oils.  Does anyone know if touching TSI or Reel-X oils on the skin is dangerous over time?  I just notice that the skin on my finger tips are starting to peel.  :-\

I do wash my hands very thoroughly after working on reels.  I don't have a "smelly" problem, but touching all of these oils makes me wonder.

Tiddlerbasher

I always use nitrile gloves - impervious to just about every solvent there is and dirt cheap. Like these:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p21918

Jerseymic

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on December 05, 2015, 09:32:02 AM
I always use nitrile gloves - impervious to just about every solvent there is and dirt cheap. Like these:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p21918

Same ones that I use, although I don't find they last long with carb cleaner or Briwax wood wax.

Tiddlerbasher

Mike - carb cleaner is fairly nasty stuff - I prefer neat IPA (a lot less toxic and far cheaper in bulk, I buy 5 litres at a time) - place bearings etc in a small glass jar and cover with IPA - screw on lid and shake (better still place in an ultrasonic bath ;)) by decanting small quantities at a time reduces most potential hazards.

Briwax is quite abrasive and can hasten the demise of glove fingers - I now use carnauba wax applied by a dremel felt wheel - or a buffing wheel on the bench grinder. A battery drill and buffing attachment will obviously work as well.

Jerseymic

Yes I agree, I have recently bought IPA, as you say less toxic and cheaper.

I have also acquired a buffing machine with various mops and soaps, makes life a lot easier for the fingers.

The Briwax I use on furniture, which I prefer to apply by hand.

Tiddlerbasher

David Hall

I was going to post a long write up about my 45yr exposure to practically every industrial solvent, toxic chemical, asbestos, fibreglass that I have been exposed to as a carpenter and shipwright but since I'm only 61, and a smoker and I have zero health conditions that MSDS is certain I should have I'm probably not the right person to speak on the subject.

Jerseymic

Jerseymic

Quote from: David Hall on December 05, 2015, 07:19:53 PM
I was going to post a long write up about my 45yr exposure to practically every industrial solvent, toxic chemical, asbestos, fibreglass that I have been exposed to as a carpenter and shipwright but since I'm only 61, and a smoker and I have zero health conditions that MSDS is certain I should have I'm probably not the right person to speak on the subject.

David, I am 65 also a carpenter and joiner, been exposed to all the crap along the way, I remember the days of my apprenticeship in the machine shop, no dust extraction, couldn't see one end of the shop from the other, Iroko dust comes to mind!!

A smoker until 6 month ago, and the only health problems are a knackered spine and joint problems, that I am aware of!!

David Hall

Quote from: Jerseymic on December 05, 2015, 09:19:11 PM

David, I am 65 also a carpenter and joiner, been exposed to all the crap along the way, I remember the days of my apprenticeship in the machine shop, no dust extraction, couldn't see one end of the shop from the other, Iroko dust comes to mind!!

A smoker until 6 month ago, and the only health problems are a knackered spine and joint problems, that I am aware of!!

Read those MSDS and you wonder why the hell were still alive!

Jerseymic

Quote from: David Hall on December 06, 2015, 04:23:43 AM
Quote from: Jerseymic on December 05, 2015, 09:19:11 PM

Read those MSDS and you wonder why the hell were still alive!

Agreed.

jig-guy

After being a commercial refrigeration contractor for many years I was not able to see my skin on my hands until about a year after I quit doing refrigeration ( my hands were black stained ). Now I have clean Cal's Grease hands with only Asbestos, Cadmium & Mercury left in my body :o. Good shape for 74!

Quote from: josa1 on October 22, 2011, 01:18:35 AM
Hey All, Happy Friday!

The chemicals I've used over the years as a Commercial Air Conditioning Mechanic more than likely far outweigh what most users of this board are, or have been, exposed to.  When I retired I became more aware of the things that might have a long term impact on my longevity.

After doing a quick search around my garage I realize that it's a haven for toxic chemicals. I have a few suggestions....

a) READ THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS!!  There's a lot of thought, testing and research put into those simple "Directions for Use" paragraphs on chemical containers.  I do believe that they are as thorough as need be for safe use!

b)  WEAR GLOVES.  I didn't do this for years but now find it second nature to put on gloves for most reel repair servicing projects.  I've tried several different varieties and have found the nitrile gloves sold by COSCO as the strongest and longest lasting.  Where I used to use two or three "left" gloves for a project, I now find I only use about as many left gloves as right gloves.  The difference being that I hold the object I'm cleaning in my left hand and thus it gets doused with whatever cleaning chemical I'm attempting to use at the time.

c) WEAR SAFETY GLASSES.  This doesn't require any explanation.  I got a pair of safety goggles with my pneumatic nailer and I use them a lot.  If I do anything stupid, it's usually not wearing the glasses for some "safe" operation.

d) VENTILATE!  I now open the lift door and side entrance door of my garage when I'm doing reel service.  The most volitile substance I use seems to be the brake cleaner and the fumes are prolific.  I'm going to try to find a different product for what I use this for, cleaning bearings.  Also, I can't seem to get myself to wear a mask although I'm sure I should at times.

e)  THINK!  As I get older, I seem to take things for granted that I would never have in the past.  I think good planning for a project should include a mental plan of the the tools and chemicals needed along with hashing over the repair proceedure you want to do.

Don't mean to preach, just want all my resourses out there to stay healthy!

David Hall

The chemicals I've used over the years as a Commercial Air Conditioning Mechanic more than likely far outweigh what most users of this board are, or have been, exposed to.  When I retired I became more aware of the things that might have a long term impact on my longevity.

I'm thinking its a good thing you retired, if you kept exposing yourself to that stuff in another 15-20 years you might regret it?

handi2

Starting out 44 years ago in commercial pipe fitting, plumbing I was around asbestos many times. My uncle just passed from Asbestosis from working in the same environment. Before that (as a kid) we would play with the lead and chew on the fresh tar..!!

I'm trying to quit smoking now with Chantix. It worked before.

In the shop I now use gloves when cleaning parts but no other time. I get brake cleaner, oils, and greases on me everyday. I think it helps the arthritis in my hands..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL