what can be dangerous?

Started by hafnor, October 14, 2011, 12:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

I received my letter for Asbestos testing from my Union last week. If there are any Plumber's Local Union #1 on here get tested. I have had part of my right Lung removed already. I still have no fear of Lead. I have melted tons to pour into Lead & Oakum Cast Iron Joins. I just need a new Furnace Head for heat.

Mike 
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Swami805

I'm an arborist, I specialize in pests and diseases. I've been using pesticides for many years. The MSDS isn't very helpful but there is the LD50 which is the lethal amount of exposure for 50% of the test group. You can compare products that way. Also the SIGNAL words caution, warning and danger. Caution is pretty mellow, warning is usually for a specific thing like getting it in your eyes and danger is they ain't lying, stay away from it if you can.
Most important is follow the directions on the label.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ez2cdave

Quote from: Swami805 on September 06, 2016, 01:23:52 AM
I'm an arborist, I specialize in pests and diseases. I've been using pesticides for many years. The MSDS isn't very helpful but there is the LD50 which is the lethal amount of exposure for 50% of the test group.

So, if one were to mention Chlordane (liquid concentrate, not powder) or DDT . . .

Swami805

Chlordane has been gone for awhile, I'll still see a glass bottle with the powder in it in old garages from time to time. Usually the label is rotting off  so it's a ticking bomb waiting for the next earthquake. Worked great injected in the soil around the house for termites. Thankfully I have a ag license and don't have to deal with termites. Old timers used to put it on citrus trees, I think it has a 10 year residual,no bugs on those trees! There some sticks of chalk you can buy in Mexico that have chlordane in it so you can draw a line on the floor to keep bugs out, I've seen those sold here too in liquor stores.
A real fun one is triforine, been banned for commercial use for many years. The company that makes it is allowed to sell their remaining stock so they put it in the homeowner products. Next time your buying a fungicide for your roses you might want to read the label. Still selling it 20+ years later.
Thankfully there are many caution label products for me to use that are very specific to the target, with very low toxicity to other life froms. Gloves long sleeve shirts glasses and I'm good to go, works pretty good too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ez2cdave

I put in a nomination for the "old-school" Chlorinated Brake Cleaner sprays . . .

I think they contain Carbon Tetrachloride and / or Perchloroethylene .

Tight Lines !

Glos

Quote from: saltydog on September 13, 2012, 01:43:53 AM
One of the biggest things beyond respratory particulates is those pescy little things flying in the air(safety glasses) almost lost an eye a few years ago due to a broken piece of bakelite but I had glasses on.That little bugger stuck in the glasses I was wearing. :o
wow
( bought one today, for grinder work )
edit: used it and it damn well served a purpose, it was a hail of particles all around the glasses..
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

foakes

Got to agree on the safety glasses & absolutely encourage their use.

For me, I have two grinders with 4 different wheels to the right of my bench, plus two Dremels.

It just takes (ONE) tiny brass brush strand to ruin your vision in that eye for life...

It happens so quick, there is no way to avoid the bad outcome except with a pair of safety glasses.

They do not need to be the super expensive, optical rated, industrial glasses.

But they do need to go over your reading glasses easily, cover the edges, be clear and clean, and close to hand.  No exceptions means no issues.

I use the clear ones that are oversized so they will go over my glasses.  These are available at any good hardware store, and a thousand other places. I also use safety glasses when doing chainsaw work, and woodworking with saws, routers, and lathes.  No exceptions to these rules for me.

It is foolish and amateurish to not use safety equipment.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Quote from: Swami805 on September 06, 2016, 06:09:27 AM
Chlordane has been gone for awhile, I'll still see a glass bottle with the powder in it in old garages from time to time. Usually the label is rotting off  so it's a ticking bomb waiting for the next earthquake. Worked great injected in the soil around the house for termites. Thankfully I have a ag license and don't have to deal with termites. Old timers used to put it on citrus trees, I think it has a 10 year residual,no bugs on those trees! There some sticks of chalk you can buy in Mexico that have chlordane in it so you can draw a line on the floor to keep bugs out, I've seen those sold here too in liquor stores.
A real fun one is triforine, been banned for commercial use for many years. The company that makes it is allowed to sell their remaining stock so they put it in the homeowner products. Next time your buying a fungicide for your roses you might want to read the label. Still selling it 20+ years later.
Thankfully there are many caution label products for me to use that are very specific to the target, with very low toxicity to other life froms. Gloves long sleeve shirts glasses and I'm good to go, works pretty good too.
yes,,,,this stuff works great ;) still got a half gallon  ;D

oc1

Geez.... be careful Benny.  That stuff is nasty and stays around practically forever.
-steve  

Crow

I was a heavy equipment mechanic, at  steel mill, for over 30 years, as well as several years "wrenching" at other places, and a "wood worker / carpenter"when at home, so, like many of you....I was exposed to LOTS of stuff. Asbestos, solvents, acids, paints, oils...you name it, and to echo what others have said.....follow directions, work in a well ventilated area, wear a "dust mask" when sanding, or grinding, the "correct" gloves for handling whatever chemical product you're using, wear eye, and/or, face protection, and...use plenty of "common sense"!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

ez2cdave

Quote from: oc1 on October 14, 2018, 10:42:41 AM
Geez.... be careful Benny.  That stuff is nasty and stays around practically forever.
-steve  

Steve,

A guy I used to work with, down in Florida, used to be an Exterminator "back in the day". He still has several dozen gallons of liquid Chlordane, maybe more .

When our house was built in 2006, he came up to NC and pre-treated the entire perimeter of our foundation and where all of the support piers
would be built ( AFTER the "official pre-treatment" was done. . . No termites for 40-50 years, minimum !

Our well is located about 150 ft uphill from the house and is 473 ft deep . . . No worries about "leaching" or "run-off".

Many moons ago, I was a Termite Inspector for Orkin . . . Chlordane ROCKS !

Tight Lines !

foakes

Quote from: ez2cdave on October 15, 2018, 07:13:56 PM
When our house was built in 2006, he came up to NC and pre-treated the entire perimeter of our foundation and where all of the support piers
would be built ( AFTER the "official pre-treatment" was done. . . No termites for 40-50 years, minimum !

Our well is located about 150 ft uphill from the house and is 473 ft deep . . . No worries about "leaching" or "run-off".

How about any neighbor's wells, water supply's, or houses below (downhill) from your house, Dave?

A toxic plume may take 20 or 30 years to migrate downhill and into a water supply — but it will eventually.

That is what the Superfund Cleanup act is all about — and there is no statuate of limitations as to time — and ownership liability goes back to all parties, including current owners.

I have had first hand experience with this type of legal liability — and the government was involving (suing) subsequent parties and property owners 45 years after the fact.  The legal fees to fight the class action claim involving 9 car dealers who sent their used oil to a recycler who improperly disposed of the oil over a 45 year period — ran over $1.4 million dollars — and the government ended up winning.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ez2cdave

Quote from: foakes on October 15, 2018, 09:04:22 PM

How about any neighbor's wells, water supply's, or houses below (downhill) from your house, Dave?

A toxic plume may take 20 or 30 years to migrate downhill and into a water supply — but it will eventually.

Fred

Our nearest neighbor is about 600 ft downhill from us ( we live in a rural area ).

Tight Lines !

Benni3

-steve  
yes sir,,,,I did work for terminix and got all of there training,,,,,but this stuff is dangerous,,, it has it's own super powers :-[  the vegetables and fruit from Mexico and south America may have been sprayed with it,,,still today >:( not good  :(

ez2cdave

Quote from: Benni3 on October 17, 2018, 01:31:52 AM
-steve  
yes sir,,,,I did work for terminix and got all of there training,,,,,but this stuff is dangerous,,, it has it's own super powers :-[  the vegetables and fruit from Mexico and south America may have been sprayed with it,,,still today >:( not good  :(

If memory serves me correctly, Chlordane was initially banned, except for use on Termites, in 1983, and finally banned altogether, in 1988 . . . Still used in China and other countries, I believe.

Tight Lines !