Zebco 6020

Started by festus, May 12, 2019, 01:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

It's been a rainy Saturday with another squall headed this way from the west.  Good day to work on reels and drink wine.  ;D

This is a Zebco 6020 with a bit of rash.  Bail was a little weak, reeling was stiff, but the drag and anti-reverse were normal.  I either read somewhere or saw an online video that these reels were a competitor to the Daiwa Gold series.  Can't really verify that, but hey, it has to be true, it's on the internet.  ;)

This is another one of those with the oscillating loop.

Typical 12mm rotor nut.

Hey, there's actually a ball bearing under there.  This was an extremely stubborn one to get out with those dreaded snap rings.

Not a lot of parts here.

Three teflon washers and and your usual 3 metal washers plus an extra tension washer up top.

After cleanup.  Used some Ardent Reel Kleen, Dawn detergent, and gave the pinion and ball bearing a soaking in lacquer thinner.

Ball bearing was in good shape.  I seldom see a bad ball bearing in most of these old reels.

Used Ardent Reel Butter Grease.  BTW, I've trimmed my fingernails since this pic.  Didn't realize they were that bad until I saw this.  ::)

Getting that stubborn snap ring back in place.

Rotor spins very free and quiet.

This main isn't made from the best metal, but there is very little wear.

Almost done.

Not a bad old reel for $4.75 shipped as part of a package of nine.

Would I have intentionally ordered this reel by itself?  Probably not, but it's a pleasant surpise along with some other reels in the box I'd been searching for for some time.

mo65

It's hard to get hurt when your cost is under 5 bucks. These odd ducks offer a lot of bang fer the buck, thanks for the look at that one Chester. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Always good to see a reel that you have not taken a peek at the innards of before.

Frank

Ward

I'm coming really late to the party on this one but I've just started tearing into spinning reels.  There's a Daiwa RS1300 that I've just serviced and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the internals of your reel and the little Daiwa.  My reel is part of the Daiwa silver series and it is a solid little reel as is your Zebco.  These classic reels can be fishing for a long, long time.