DIY jungle Bamboo Gaff

Started by steelfish, May 31, 2019, 07:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, all started few months ago ( a lot of ) with my friend saying he needed a short gaff for when the fish is really close to the panga boat, sometimes the normal long gaff are cumbersome to handle when the fish is 2 ft away from you, this is my friend that normally invite me to fish on his boat so, I told him that I will make him short gaff after finishing some pending jobs I already had, as gift of course.
that was almost a year ago, finally I had the time to plan the build, I already had some Bamboo cuts 3ft aprox and the rest of the materials, its not calcutta bamboo but is thick walled and since its short Im pretty sure it will work, local fish are not that big but some of them have really ugly teeth.

My initial idea was to do a really basic gaff, you know something really DIY thing, colored cord on the handle for visual effect and some black thinner cord to hold the hook and called a day but you know me, where it would be my personal touch on that thing?
so, I changed the black cord for some stronger nylon tan cord for the hook, what secure the hook is lots of weld-on strong epoxy, later is the nylon tan cord to end with some cris cross with the thinner black cord, I was told that 2 or 3 coats on of urethane on the cord will seal it and make it waterproof to avoid the wood to rott after sometime of use, so 3 coats of urethane was added but them it needed my personal touch, it needed some decals with the logo/name of the boat and I seal it with normal thread epoxy but I went for the whole enchilada and epoxied the whole thing... that put it in another level (in my books) so, now is stronger, completely waterproff and looks pretty nice !!

not because I made it but really liked this Gaff, my friend didnt knew anything so, I was about to keep it for me LOL,  of course I gave it to him as it was promised and I dont need to say that he was really exited and happy with the gift, now the problem is to force him to use it, he want it to put it on the wall of his office cuz its just too pretty.

for me it looks like a medieval weapon or something you will need on hand for the zombie invasion.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

few more for details

the cord has reflective white dots, really reflective, I forgot to use the flash on the camera but it would be something like this
The Baja Guy

Dominick

Nice work Alex.  Alonso should be happy with that gaff.  It looks like more fishing trips in the future.  Put out a plug for your friend.  Post information about Thresher.  I'm assuming that is Alonso Garcia's sport fishing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on May 31, 2019, 07:38:34 PM
Nice work Alex.  Alonso should be happy with that gaff.  It looks like more fishing trips in the future.  Put out a plug for your friend.  Post information about Thresher.  I'm assuming that is Alonso Garcia's sport fishing.  Dominick

hey Dom, the name of the boat is Thresher, and he advertize as "Thresher fishing trips", Alonso Garcia is my friend and owner.
yep, thats me having a ultra fresh ceviche after a fishing day, we just took one YT from the ice chest
The Baja Guy

RowdyW

Alex your work is always above and beyond.          Rudy

Fishy247

Pretty sick stick Alex! So you coated the whole thing with clear coat? Your finish looks like it came out really smooth and even. You secured the hook with the thinner black cord and sealed with the heavy epoxy, then covered that with the tan? I like your thinking primo! Excellent work!

Mike

Alto Mare

Beautiful job, Alex! That looks really nice.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hardy Boy

Alex: That is a work of art thats for sure !! Nice job ! I hope it floats if it ever gets dropped over.................. if not I bet I could hear the screaming here in Canada ! I made a short gaff years ago out of a wooden tool handle, epoxied the gaff hook in place, wrapped with cord and put resin on it and it has lasted for over 30 years. Yours in ten times more sealed (and prettier) so it should last for ever, and look good doing it. Did you consider putting a wrist lanyard on it for safety/ security ?

I hope to see it in action in person one day !!!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

steelfish

Quote from: Fishy247 on May 31, 2019, 08:45:52 PM
Pretty sick stick Alex! So you coated the whole thing with clear coat? Your finish looks like it came out really smooth and even. You secured the hook with the thinner black cord and sealed with the heavy epoxy, then covered that with the tan? I like your thinking primo! Excellent work!

Mike

Hey Mike
The hook is secured to the bamboo with JB-weld epoxy and let it Cure for a day, next add the nylon cord (tan) which was installed with some force to put it really tight, finally ad the black thin cord on a cris cross, finally I put 3 coats of wrapping epoxy, easy peacy, right?
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Hardy Boy on May 31, 2019, 09:28:54 PM
Alex: That is a work of art thats for sure !! Nice job ! I hope it floats if it ever gets dropped over.................. if not I bet I could hear the screaming here in Canada !
Did you consider putting a wrist lanyard on it for safety/ security ?

I hope to see it in action in person one day !!!
Cheers:
Todd

The idea of using Bamboo was to make a floating gaff, I didnt tested it but it should float, right?   :-\

My friend is gonna add a lanyard, I will give him some piece of the same orange cord.

Only way to using it in person is to come to fish Here and go fish with me and my friend on his boat, I no longer have it.
The Baja Guy

David Hall

Real beauty you created, you went above and beyond the basic gaff for sure but wow does it look fantastic.

Dominick

Hamachi ceviche...and fresh too.  Living large Alex.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

Keep up the great work Alex. Think out of the box and make your place in the fishing world.

Dwight

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !