calcutta 400a

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish, PacRat, funhog and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ruffy

Hi Everybody, has anyone on here done the drive shaft bearing upgrade on a 400B? Mine is due for a service; I was thinking about doing the spool shaft bushing and drive shaft bushing upgrades and was wondering if anyone could give me the details of the bearing/washer required for the drive shaft upgrade? I can find a kit on Mikes Reel Repairs but would much rather walk into a shop here in Aus and buy it then wait for it to come from Canada.

Cheers, Ruff

alantani

here's a slick little modification.  the plastic bushing that you see here can actually be replaced by a bearing.  the dimensions on the bearing/bushing are 5mm id x 11mm od x 3mm ht and the bocabearings.com part # is SMR 685.  there's no specific need to replace the bushing.  i think it's just slick to have that option.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

bushing or bearing, either one is fine. 

Ruffy

Hi Alan, thanks for the speedy reply. That is the spool shaft bushing (which I will replace); from what I have googled it is possible to replace the drive shaft bushing with a bearing and washer as well. In the schematic it is BNT0819, approx two thirds across the page at the top of the diagram.

Here is the link to the kit (http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/shimano-calcutta-drive-shaft-bearing-upgrade-p-87300.html). I just thought I'd do these two upgrades as part of a service and see how they go. Old mate on one forum had reservations of salt water intrusion, this was his reasoning as to why they are bushings out of the box. I'll just keep the bushings in case they require too much maintenance for my liking.

If I can't track down the dimensions of the kit I will order from Mike's and wait out, ever patiently...

cjinscore

Alan,

I am working on a Calcutta 200A, early 90's model.  I upgraded the drag washers with carbon ones from Smooth Drag.  Although you said you didn't take the shields off the bearings, I did in mine.  There are two bearings and then one plastic bushing on the spool shaft.  Everything works well except when I insert the spool shaft into the drive shaft.  The spool just seems to be spinning around the bushing for some reason.  What do you think is going on?

Thanks!

Chris

alantani

cjinscore

I have the original schematic that came with it.  Everything seems to be in the right place.  The drive gear and pinion gear engage and turn with no problem.  But when I insert the spool shaft into the pinion gear, the pinion and drive gear no longer turn.

cjinscore

I figured out what the problem is.  The cross pin on the spool shaft that hold the bushing in place is not sitting inside the two little cut outs on the pinion gear.  For some reason the pinion gear won't sit far enough in for the cross pin to lock in.

johndtuttle

Quote from: cjinscore on April 07, 2015, 12:48:32 PM
I figured out what the problem is.  The cross pin on the spool shaft that hold the bushing in place is not sitting inside the two little cut outs on the pinion gear.  For some reason the pinion gear won't sit far enough in for the cross pin to lock in.

Is there any corrosion on the spool shaft to prevent free travel of the pinion?

Do you have your yoke springs on properly to return the pinion onto the cross pin?

Are the yoke springs fatigued? Sometimes a little stretch can prolong their life.

Just some ideas, hang in there.  ;)

cjinscore

John

No corrosion. I figured out the problem was the springs because one was missing! Problem was staring me in the face the whole time..  Shimano is sending me two new ones for free, but they are for a Calcutta 100.  They did not guarantee they would work.  I was just overlooking it. If those springs don't work, anyone have any ideas where to get springs for the 200A model?

Thanks!

johndtuttle

Quote from: cjinscore on April 07, 2015, 04:44:39 PM
John

No corrosion. I figured out the problem was the springs because one was missing! Problem was staring me in the face the whole time..  Shimano is sending me two new ones for free, but they are for a Calcutta 100.  They did not guarantee they would work.  I was just overlooking it. If those springs don't work, anyone have any ideas where to get springs for the 200A model?

Thanks!

Don't stress if the ones they send out cannot be made to work then you should be able to find some easily that will. All they have to be is able to return the pinion. Probably any number of springs from any number of reels can do the job.

Take some good measurements of the one you have left and then some helpful person probably has something that will do.

cjinscore

Ok, so the springs were way too small.  What type of measurements should I take of the old spring to see if anyone has a new one?

alantani

i should have the springs.  if you can send me the height and outside diameter with your address, i will drop a couple into the mail. 

cjinscore

Thanks Alan!  The height is ~12mm and outside diameter is ~6mm.  I say approximately because I don't have a caliper so I just used a measuring tape with mm on it.

alantani