Heddon 220-R

Started by festus, July 25, 2019, 07:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This reel was delivered a couple weeks ago, but didn't get around to servicing it until today.  Like many other Heddons I've picked up lately, this one definitely felt as if it could have been fished as it arrived.  Bail snap was very crisp, drag worked ok, and it was fairly clean on the exterior.  There was a bit of grime around the side plate screws and anti-reverse lever, but otherwise it looked good.  A little rash on one side of the rotor, but it sure doesn't affect performance.

What grease remained was pretty soft, enough the crank turned freely, no stiffness.  But, it was time for a change. Not sure when this reel was manufactured because there is no info out there to be found on the net other than schematics.  I'm guessing it's at least 45 years old.

That little collar that fits on the stud on the main gear is known as the slide guide bushing.  Gotta be careful not to lose it or the reel will run roughly.

The rotor nut is standard right handed threads.

No ball bearing under here but there is a brass or bronze bushing/sleeve.

I've seen these pinion gears held on by a large c-clip in more than one Heddon.

I lost this original c-clip on reassembly, but luckily had a junked out Roddy (Heddon 245 clone) with the same part that fit perfectly.

All the interior metal parts got a good soaking in lacquer thinner for a couple hours and scrubbed with a soft copper brush.  All painted metal parts and plastic parts got scrubbed with foaming orange Purple Power citrus cleaner then rinsed with water. 

Note there is also a bushing in the handle side.

This tube of Super Lube has gone a long ways and still has many more services remaining.

This 220-R has the one thick felt washer and one metal washer assembly as in many other Heddons of similar size.

As mentioned earlier, there is very little information available on these Heddons with the -R suffix.  They probably retailed for around $20 but most likely could be found from 12 to 15 bucks or so.  These probably hold about 200 yds of 10-12 lb mono, have approximately a 3:1 gear ratio and weigh 12 oz.  The spool diameter is wider than the Mitchell 300 or D-A-M Quick 220, but more narrow than the D-A-M Quick 330. I wouldn't hesitate to spool it with 12 lb mono.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gfish

Festus you're becoming an expert Hedo-phile. How many in your collection now? Those handle knobs look cool and light-weight, how's the ergonomics n 'em?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Great look under the hood Chester...seems like that one has a pretty decent build. I ain't crazy about the c-clip or pinion retainer held pinions one sees on some of these Japanese reels from the 70s, but in it's defense, it seems to work alright. I agree...it's a fishable reel. 8)

Quote from: Gfish on July 25, 2019, 08:09:02 PM
Those handle knobs look cool and light-weight, how's the ergonomics n 'em?

If it's OK for me to butt in G, that handle knob is the most interesting part of some of these Heddons. I love that knob...someone should recreate that thing!

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: Gfish on July 25, 2019, 08:09:02 PM
Festus you're becoming an expert Hedo-phile. How many in your collection now? Those handle knobs look cool and light-weight, how's the ergonomics n 'em?
Greg, I have somewhere around 12 to 14 Heddons taking a guess.  Those knobs are one of the best, much more comfortable than a torpedo knob.

Again, these -R series Heddons have no consistency.  I also have a 205-R.  It has a ball bearing on the pinion and the same drag as this 220-R.

Looking at schematics, the 210-R has no bearings and the same drag setup.  I can't find a clue about the size of the reel.

The 260-R has a ball bearing and a 6 stack drag. I have no idea about the size of the reel, but most likely it's larger than those previously mentioned.  The 270-R appears to be a larger version of the 260-R.

happyhooker

Good look at a good-looking reel.  "Hedo-philes", "Heddonists"--whatever the name, they're fun reels to play around with.

Frank

festus

Quote from: happyhooker on July 26, 2019, 12:48:18 AM
Good look at a good-looking reel.  "Hedo-philes", "Heddonists"--whatever the name, they're fun reels to play around with.

Frank
;D ;D ;D  Yes they are, and can still be found at 1960s prices if you're patient.  There are 4-5 more out there I'm looking for, mostly the medium and larger sizes.  Out of what I've found so far my favorites are the 233, 281 (light), 248 (medium), and the 277 (large).

Not sure whether these Heddon spinners are recommended for saltwater use.  I would definitely try it, you can tear one down, clean it, and have it re-lubed and back together in a few minutes.

Midway Tommy

QuoteAs mentioned earlier, there is very little information available on these Heddons with the -R suffix.  They probably retailed for around $20 but most likely could be found from 12 to 15 bucks or so.

The 1966 Heddon catalog does not list any open face spinning reels, so, sometime between 1967 and '69 is when they were actually promoted. An extensive early lineup with descriptions including the Spin/Matics, Convertibles & standards (20 models in all if you count the Ls & Rs) is shown in the 1969 catalog. The 220R & 220L are advertised as "Quality in every detail. Stainless steel bail system, powerful, long-wearing, smooth operating gears. Die-cast aluminum body, anodized spool. Holds 200 yds of 8-lb test monofilament. Weighs 12 oz. Model 220R (right hand) .... about $12.45  Model 220L (left hand).....about $12.45". Not very high dollar, even for those times.

The 270 is advertised as "Ocean Spinning Reel.. Holds 200 yds 25-lb test mono....Weighs 20 oz..L or R... about $28.95". The 260 is advertised as "Power-plus for ocean or salmon/steelhead spinning. Holds 225 yds of 15-lb test mono....Weighs 18oz ..L or R... about $23.95".

The Spin/Matics were the highest priced in the lineup with the "280 about $31.95....290 about $34.95 ....295 about $44.95".

There was obviously a lot of retail price flexibility given all prices listed say "about".  ::) Never seen that one before in catalogs.   ???   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Mic

Crazy

I knew I had seen one of these somewhere. It was on the back porch on top of the redneck refrigerator. You know, the refrigerator on the back porch that you put all your beer in and your wife puts the leftovers in and the kid won't stay out of

Nice little reel. bout the same size as a Mitchell 300 I guess ?

Thanks for the breakdown Festus

Maybe I'll put the feller on a bench and oil it up and see what it does on a rod ?

Thanks again

Gfish

Anyone heard from festus lately?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on January 13, 2021, 02:43:49 PM
Anyone heard from festus lately?

I talked to him on the facebooks a few times lately...but he's been scarce there too. Maybe he's getting his gear ready for spring fishing. I know I've cleaned and oiled and rigged and...come on spring! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~