money pit......even more than my Penn reel addiction

Started by milne, July 30, 2019, 11:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

As the title states,  Boats  !!!!!!.
I thought my Penn reel addiction tested my spare cash, But No, not even a close second to our beloved Boats.
3 years into a full rebuild on a 18ft trailer boat,  Now with all the structural fibre Glass work done, floor, Stringers, transom, recently finished off the inside work, re Gelcoating the engine well, filled all the holes in the dash area and re Gelcoated, could of done it the easy way and 2 packed, but, oh no, not me, re Gelcoated for durability. Finished off with a speckle flow coat finish inside,  no more itchy, no more respirators !!!!  
Now, the fun part, re fitting out and re wiring,  you think that would be lighter on the wallet....Nope.
Another few months it will be time for the re power ( more hurt) but looking forward to wetting all these Penn reels I've been tricking up during my down time. She's a 30 plus year old hull, which was a rock of a boat, whether it be local bay fishing or 60 km out wide on the big fellas, some were telling me you could by a new boat for what I was spending restoring this classic,,,,,,,,kinda explains me in a nut shell, what with vintage Penn gear as well......LOL
Just thought I'd share.....

Col

Cor

You got yourself a very nice looking boat!!

I've always resisted buying a boat for that reason.   I used to do some boat maintenance for a friend and nothing that had to be replaced or repaired ever cost less than $200-00 nothing and it was an ongoing money pit!

Luckily the friend owner was not too concerned. :D
Cornelis

milne

Hi Cor,  I owned my first boat at 17, and it's been a journey ever since.
        This was suppose to be my last boat, it took me near 5 years to find this hull, they are few and far between now,, and as usual, it checked out ok.
     but issues arose after about 6 years, I was always going to swap out to a new 4 stroke, but, it kinda was worse than I thought.
    We had just been at a comp, which we fished 30 odd km out, in some pretty nasty conditions, it was when the boat was back and parked up, I noticed the water still coming out of the bungs, the rest is history, but when I removed the floor, the stringers had actually parted ways with the floor !!!!  so, structurally, I don't know how we never folded the boat in half while out wide, it was seriously scary...
So, I recon I've got another 15 odd years of physically being able to self launch etc, so with that in mind, she will still be stronger than when it was new by then.  I down sized 10 year ago, as I fish a lot solo, it's the perfect allround size .
I cant really imagine being without a boat in all honesty, it's part of me now......
But taking first timers out, especially kids, makes it all worth it, seeing the smile on there faces catching there first fish,
Equally, taking someone out wide for there first experience on the big fell's is also pleasurable...
But,  there still a money pit,  Yes..........LOL

Col

Bryan Young

Looks like a piece of art.

I've concluded that any hobby of sorts is expensive. I used to own and work on some old cars. Always needing some TLC. It never ends but was really enjoyable to me. Now my new hobby are my kids and that just broke the bank  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Nice work, you can do mine when you finish yours.... ;O)
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Ted says the best boat is your buddies (I'm enjoying my best boat ever!!)
Looks to be quality work on your rebuild.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Really nice, Milne —

Have you figured out the electronics and NAV equipment you are going to run yet?

Your skills are impressive!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Looks like you'll have a great boat, Col ! And, yes, those projects will eat every dollar that you throw at them, but....... ::)Now, tell me about that truck I see in the background !! ;)
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Come on Col, we wont to see fish photos, get yourself moving, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Beautiful job! Enjoy it!...no one gets out of here with money in their pocket, or alive. 

On another note.
I got up at 4:00am, truck was already loaded with rods, crab pats and everything else.
Took me a while of finally being able to take a day off so I could get to the boat.
Brought my wife a cup of coffee in bed, as I've been doing for the past 34 years and hit the road.
After 1 hour of driving, the truck started smoking a little in the cabin, I checked my temperature gauge and it hit  260° .
I quickly got off the  highway , pulled up at a firehouse waited a little for the temp to drop and filled a few juggles of water.
Little by little I was able to get back home safe.
Now if I run in the guy that told me to go fish, it would be good to release some stress from every day work, I'll use him to store my rods😁

I pay for summer and winter storage, I'm lucky if I'll use the boat a dozen times.
I'm not sure if I will finally get on there this year🙄.
Yes boats are money pit, but the little fun we get when everything works out makes it worth it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Tightlines667

I am approaching the 1 year mark on my dyer29 rebuild and not quiete 1/2 way home.  Your timeline makes me feel a bit better about my project.  I am sure you will be happy when everything is wrapped up.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

milne

Hi Guys,   Yes, it's been a HUGE learning curve, let me tell you. I've attempted and done things I had no knowledge of before, but I think that is part of it as well, it's not really the job, it's the journey.

Sal, if it lightens the hurt, 2 days ago, smoke was coming out of the steering wheel covers in my vehicle, got it towed back to my  factory and got an auto electrician in, who ordered the new ignition part, only to now find out, the cause was my injector pump, which is being worked on as we speak, $ 4100 bill coming my way at the end of the week,   I didn't need that.  I live only 10 minutes from the water, so I'm lucky that when I decide to go for a bay fish, I can be in the water fishing within the hour, so quite often after working a weekend, I'll hook the boat up and go out solo for some peace, spoilt really. The out wide stuff, I have to tow at least 4 odd hours, which I don't mind, I'll normally take a weekend or so to make it worth it.

Crow,  good eye.  Because my factory is quite small, I did the re Gelcoating and flowcoating at a mates factory, he had all the gear. The truck you see, I'm not sure what it is, but where he works, they build custom hot rods, he actually makes the fibre glass moulds. He gave me a hand when it was time to spray, but I have to admit, he spent a few hours showing me around, there were replica bodies, t buckets and a bloke actually building an aluminium bodied replica of a 1920's coupe, who was there at the time working, truly amazing and the skill these guys possess is astonishing.

Hi Fred,  Hmm, electronic gear.  I keep changing my mind Fred. I am going to run engine data and navagation through a 9 inch simrad evo 3, then run a 12 inch Evo 3 as my main fish finder sonar, you can link both together and run multiple transducers The types of transducers available now is incredible, however, Humbingbird have really upped the anty as well now too with there tecnology, so I'll make the decision once everything else is installed and wired up. Boy, you can sure throw some coin at that sort of gear, I started with an old paper print out depth finder,, now look at where we are.

John,  You start these projects with a fairly clear intention, But it changes during the process, that's been my problem. what was going to be a simple repair job has turned into a major customisation job, that's why these things take so damn long. But, I figure, while your there, you may as well do it, well, that's my line of thinking.   Don't worry about how long it takes John, as long as when your finished, you don't regret having not added something, that's the key.....  Any photo's of your rebuild john.

Thanks guys  ( Don, I'm hurrying )     since my work vehicles off the road till Friday, what better opportunity than that, to borrow her indoors car and head down to the marine supply shop and buy MORE STUFF !!!!!
Need the helm seat, swivel slider for it, new marine aerial's and fittings,,,,,,it doesn't end,  but it does put a wee smile on my face as new things get fitted and I see the end goal getting closer.........

cheers Guys
Col

Alto Mare

$4100 is a lot of money to dish out at once, you must own a Ford ;D ...just joking of course :).
Mine wasn't that bad, he replaced the water pump, thermostat and a couple of minor things.
It is up to $800, but he's a friend and usually gives me 50% discount , I do lots of repairs at his 5 bay shop and always give him a good deal.
My truck is 22 years old and he always tells me not to get rid of it yet, it is a Ram 2500 and this is the first time I replaced parts on the motor, usually oil change, breaks and tires.
My truck works hard, at times I carry 1 ton of concrete + 700 lbs for the bump itself that was added to the truck...can't really complain.

Sorry for pulling away from your amazing upgrades on your boat, you are very talented.
It isn't always about how much, but the satisfaction you get from it when done.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

milne

Hi Sal,  No, your not pulling away from my thread at all. I'm glad your truck may end up not to bad then, Mine, well, injector pumps on diesels are the one thing you don't want to replace, as I've just found out.  Mine is a 16 year old Nissan diesel, which I've clocked up near 220'000 km's, it carries a steel  rack for carrying glass sheets and tools, so it's carrying around 650 kilo's all the time, I cant really complain, it's done me well, but given me an unexpected holiday till it's fixed on Friday they are telling me.  I sit there, thinking about what I could have spent on the boat, or what reels I could have bought for that amount,,,  But, these things happen I guess.

I'm managing to get some time in on the boat, because of my vehicle problem, so it at least there is a sort of a plus, so to speak.
I'm swapping over the old existing pedestal seats, for fibre glass seat boxes, I think the photo showed the passenger one already fixed in, they have storage in them, which is a big bonus, once you cut a hole and install a hatch. I also bought some of these new u-bute helm flip up seats, where you lift up part of the seat and it can be used as a leaning post while driving standing up. The fibreglass box has an interesting attaching method, which I am really pleased about, no one likes putting any holes anywhere when you have just replaced the floor,  I'll post up a picture of the system after I fit it up tomorrow,it may give others an idea should they ever have to do a similar job.

Col