80TW - A look inside the International 80TW

Started by Nemo, October 27, 2011, 08:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweezy

Tried to reset lever and that did not work.  It seems as though when i pull out cam thrust washer it works like normal....  For some reason it seems like a spacing issue.  Cleaned off all grease that i added.  I had another working 80tw.  That one was working fine...  Took that apart today and serviced.  Now it does the same thing too!  Did i use too much grease?  Was i not supposed to grease drag?  Did i leave too much grease on washers or too little?  Not sure...  Any other thoughts?

alantani

it's a spacing issue.  it has to be something done to both reels during reassembly.  grease is not the cause.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

agreed, you have a spacing issue. have you looked at the scehamitic for that reel?

Dweezy

Yes i have disassembled and reassembled both reels like 20 times.  Double ck and triple ck reels with schematics.  Oh one more thing.  I replaced those belleville washers.  I took it to a reel repair shop today.  This disassembled and reassembled reel and said everything was ok.  They installed washers like so... (((). With drag knob all the way out reel does not freespool in free position.  Lift up lever 1/4 way than it freespools.  Adjust drag preset screw further in and drag function is almost normal but it seems as though the lever adjustment of drag is sudden and not gradual.  I also tried to take apart cam housing area thats pressed into right side plate to try see if i could clean and tap it further in to side plate.  Any ideas?

Mahalos for the help kamu and alan. 

Dweezy

Also i checked other reel again and removed spacers from between belleville washers and that reel is like normal now.  Is there anything i have to do to reel in order to compress belleville washers after reassembly?

kamuwela

looks like the belleville's need to go one way (((( take a look at the schematic. it just so happens that i just got 2 80tw's give me a few day's and ill pop it open and see.

Dweezy

Gaujo

Huh, so the drag washer attaches to the spool, not the drive plate.  That's interesting.  What is on the other side of that drive plate?  I am wondering if it's a double drag system, or what.
Nothing but friends & fins on alantani.com

kamuwela

dual drag, sharing the spline on the pinion shaft.

Gaujo

Quote from: kamuwela on July 06, 2012, 06:54:20 AM
dual drag, sharing the spline on the pinion shaft.

Thats big heat!  What kind of drag can it put out?

Gaujo

I remember reading that the new internationals had lower quality and plastic parts.  I see no plastic parts, and note design improvements as well.  Would you agree that the new intl are as good or better than the old?

alantani

the newer internationals are beautiful reels.  and like the tiagra, makairas and ATD's, they are complicated.  i still believe that there is a place for a very simple reel with fewer moving parts that can be serviced by anyone.  the old penn international is such a reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Night Prowler

Hey Alan and Kamu. I have the same problem as dweezy. Any updates? Mine is a 80stw and I also have taken it apart about 20 times. When you throw the drag lever forward, it stays in free spool just until strike, then it almost locks up. Not a smooth slow increase. I am a journeyman mechanic and this thing is driving me nuts >:(  ??? :'( I put this reel aside but, now I want to use it again. I also noticed when I used it before, when I set the drag, the clicker would almost go away. If I set it too tight, there would be no clicker. This sounds like a clearance problem. Should I shim something somewhere? Any help would be most appreciated. Aloha.

kamuwela

sounds like the cam is off. you can reset it by using the lever, push the lever forward to where it free spools then reset the lever back to free. you may have to turn the lever upside down to get the cam pushed forward enough. or you can take the cam out and then reposition it in the side plate. are you on oahu? maybe i can help you out.

Night Prowler

Aurai. I gotya. Never thought about that. Thought that you have to have the cam in the notches for free spool. I live on Kauai so, I can give it a try myself. Will let you know how it goes. Many mahalos bra. Aloha,
  ;D