Hard set of two speed reels !! Fin-Nor

Started by 54bullseye, August 04, 2019, 01:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

It took a while to put this set of mid 1980s two speed Fin-Nor reels together ! The 9/0 is most common from what I have seen then the 7.5 /0 two speed I have seen a few of them but not to many !! The 6/0 wides were not common and only made a shot time. Now the 2.5 /0 and 4/0 two speeds were the hardest for me to find and I have only seen a few of each.

The 2.5 and 4/0 transmissions were designed by Oscar Kovalovsky son of famous reel maker Arthur Kovalovsky from Hollywood California. Because of old patent  infringements between Fin-Nor and Kovalovsky Oscars name didn't go on the small two speed patent it was Oscar's friend Big Game Fisherman " Steve Zuckerman " That claimed the design and dealt with
Fin-Nor but Oscar was in background to claim most of the money !! You can read about it in the book " A conversation with Oscar Kovalovsky " A great little book written by Robert Douglas and Larry Lauve !! Book is still available.

Oscar designed the big 12/0 Tri-Gear transmission for Fin-Nor as well but it also went through Steve Zuckerman. I will post all reels together first then individually. Take notice of the pair of 6/0 wide models one of them has a one piece frame !! Maybe later version. Any one with catalog showing that please let me know when they made it.

Well hope you enjoy them and if anyone can add to or correct anything I have written please post it !  Thanks for looking !      John Taylor

Click on images to blow up.

54bullseye

9/0 and 7.5 /0 reels

54bullseye

The two 6/0 wide reels notice one piece frame

54bullseye

Last the 2.5 and 4/0 reels   Thanks for looking !!   John Taylor

54bullseye

I wanted to add the little 2.5 and 4/0 don't shift like the bigger reels you just push in small lever then lift up on the handle about a quarter inch to shift gears. They work great and are smooth as butter !! The 6/0 and up you lift handle then rotate to other hole to shift.   John Taylor

foakes

Beautiful, John!

Nice work and research.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

Fabulous !! What would the 12/0   3 speed have sold for, new ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Tiddlerbasher

Alto Mare

What a collection of reels! A 5 or so hour ride might be worth it to see the John Taylor museum one day🙂.

Thanks for sharing John!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Those are quite a set of reels, they look like they've never seen water. Very nice.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

54bullseye

Thanks everybody for the kind words !!

Crow:  I am posting a 1986 Catalog and price list that I got a year or so ago from Randy Pauly  Thanks Randy !!! These reels didn't go cheap as you will see. I will say they seem to be very well made and with some care will stand the test of time !!

Sal: I would be honored to have you up for a visit to check out my stuff !!! Winter is good for me I am home a lot. I hope you come up and bring any Tani friends that live near you !!!

And Sheridan: Some do show wear and scratches from use but some are near mint !! 

Thanks again for looking !!   John Taylor

54bullseye

I guess the $1100.00 price tag on the little 2.5 and $1150.00 on the 4/0 explain why there weren't many around LOL !!!!! ;D    John Taylor

Captain64-200

Wow !  That one piece frame on the 6/0 is impressive ,  nice collection Sir  and good info on those goldies ...
Fred from Biarritz ,

Crow

What's that old saying ? "If you have to ask the price...you can't afford it !"  A sweet collection, thanks for sharing...and for the catalog prices.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !