The physics of fishing the rail

Started by boon, August 05, 2019, 10:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I've got two original honey colored Hercules blanks. They have a large group of people that really like them a lot... Jeff

oc1

Whew.  That photo is something.
-steve

oldmanjoe

??? ???  I wonder how many fisher men were catapulted from the boat rail fishing , because they were on the wrong side of the fulcrum !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Great thread boon. Love the technical stuff, 'cept I usually haveta read them 3-4 times to get about half the info.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Just on the topic of rod bend, this is a nice example of what modern rods are capable of:

Really makes me want to break out the 'tiger country' gear again - the countdown to spring is on!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

gstours

??? clicked on this post and the video is private so no viewing for us? ???

David Hall

Quote from: gstours on January 07, 2020, 03:18:14 PM
??? clicked on this post and the video is private so no viewing for us? ???

me too, would have liked to see those.  oh well,back to brazing rings!

redsetta

That's a pity - 'twas a great little clip.
Will try to find a replacement
Cheers for the heads up.
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

ez2cdave

Quote from: CapeFish on August 06, 2019, 01:16:50 PMImpressive! If something snaps there though you may well be minus a few teeth!

C-R-A-C-K (rod snaps) . . . W-H-A-M (rod hits face). . .  T-H-U-D (body hits deck) !

Stay Safe & Tight Lines !

jusjac

The reality of fishing the rail. The longer rods was for getting the line away from the boat on the final circle as well giving the spectra and FC short top some stretch.   After fishing on most of the LR boat as the rail fishing evolved I've only harnessed up once with Grabosky on the RR111 on the kite, 256# and never harnessed up again. I stick the rail rod under my right armpit and keep my left hand above reel ( I remove the left lugger to all reels ) to apply pressure  with the weight of my body and can a few inches of lift with the rod. I get scolded by some deckys for not cranking the reel on the rise of the rod tip and not trying to levrage the rod up. But thats how I do it. Knee pads are required for my method.
Now hats off to the Hercules rod. I happened to stick my spinning reel to my rod to my 60XH (80 to 100 ) and picked up and 200 plus at Hurricane Bank for a three hour battle. The first time I've ever handed off my gear, after the first 20 minutes I could not gain on it. Directly under the boat so lifting the cow made that rod tip to butt even for the whole battle. I harness for a bit, try putting the rod on the rail upside down only to have the tip guide reverse . Derek ( my battle mate for the duration 15 minute on, 15 minute off ) finally we button down to 60 lb drag to bust it off.  It did free swim to the surface to flip us off then back back to the depths.