Any albacore reports ??

Started by Maxed Out, August 12, 2019, 06:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Hopping on my usual charter boat this week and haven't heard or read any reports. I've heard rumors of them being as close as 15 miles off parts of Oregon coast, and very close to north tip of Vancouver island.

Anyone in California getting albacore ??

Thanks, Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Ted, I saw a sport boat albacore count for Fort Bragg or Eureka or somewhere up there yesterday on sportfishingreport.com.

Swami805

A lot of reports of good fishing up there on bloody decks. Fish are closer than the last few years too. From northern cali up to your area. A few bluefin and a couple marlin too. Looking good Ted
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hardy Boy

Lots of reports of them off of Vancouver island. A buddy got some and saw a picture of a boat with a pile.

Cheers:

todd
Todd

Maxed Out

.....and of course it's forecast to blow on the day of the charter. Had the same bad luck last year on weather for my albacore dates. There's no going back, because all the charters are booked solid by February. Worst scenario is ill be forced to pay $3 a pound for commercially caught albacore. I've never chased albacore on my boat, but that may soon change !!

Ted

Ron Jones

Ted and I gonna go get 'em!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

xjchad

The only tuna I've ever caught was an albie.  That was fun!
Good luck guys!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

SoCalAngler

So Cal has not had any albies in what 15 years? I kind of miss them...a little, but I much rather get the BFT which has replaced them.

When the albacore showed it was normally during snotty sea's. Locally we called it albacore weather.

Good luck on your trip.

witty1

Hey Ted,
What day is your charter??

Eric

54bullseye

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 12, 2019, 03:21:59 PM

.....and of course it's forecast to blow on the day of the charter. Had the same bad luck last year on weather for my albacore dates. There's no going back, because all the charters are booked solid by February. Worst scenario is ill be forced to pay $3 a pound for commercially caught albacore. I've never chased albacore on my boat, but that may soon change !!

Ted

Ted that was the best by far Tuna I have ever had !!!!   John Taylor

Maxed Out

Thanks for the kind words John

I doubt I could get myself to touch starkist tuna to my lips ever again. There's just no comparison to home caught, processed and canned albacore.

Ron Jones

To be clear, I've eaten quite a few jarred of home canned tuna, I've never had anything as fantastic as Ted's. That dude knows how to take care of fish.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Maxed Out

Quote from: Ron Jones on August 13, 2019, 01:25:55 AM
To be clear, I've eaten quite a few jarred of home canned tuna, I've never had anything as fantastic as Ted's. That dude knows how to take care of fish.
The Man

My canned albacore is nothing special. It's just strait up loin meat with tiny pinch of salt. I try and put a bit of belly meat in every jar. That's where most the good omega3 oils reside.

Here's a few facts about starkist tuna or any other national brand..... They offer it in water or oil. In both cases the good omega3 oils have been extracted and is sold for fish oil pills(omega3). After extraction they then add water, or linseed oil or cottonseed oil. The natural oils in albacore are what makes the canned tuna so good. That's the difference between mine and thiers

90+% of Europeans prefer starkist with oil, while over 90% of US market prefers starkist packed in water.... I prefer neither !!

Ted

broadway

I gotta agree...Ted's "White Gold" has sustained my family through the season.  We eat it sparingly as we feel it's a treat.
I could eat it for breakfast or dessert too.
I have a funny feeling even if East Coast albies were as good as West Coast albies I wouldn't be able to make it taste as good as those lovely jars Ted sends out.
Thanks Ted!
Hope you have a productive trip with sunshine and calm seas.
Dom

witty1

well... My report is on-going and has a sad part to it.
Had an albacore trip scheduled out of Westport on one of the 6-pack boats on Aug 30. Reserved my spot in Jan... I was excited to say the least.
I'm driving... 30 min outside of WP and I get a phone call saying the boat I was scheduled on broke...
Stayed the night in WP as planned because I really REALLY wanted to avoid the holiday traffic that would have started in Olympia and ended in Everett at my exit to go back home.
Woke up early the next morning and took a walk to the harbor. It turns out most of the fleet stayed in. Apparently the weather turned nasty overnight and everyone got the bump. Just not meant to be.

Was on the road by 9am after breakfast... back home by 12:45.

On a positive note... I did pick up 2 albacore ($3/lb whole) at the WP fish market brought in by the commercial guys.
Canned a bunch with chipotle pepper and ate the rest in a poke bowl.

Ayhoo... I'm not giving up yet and was able to get a spot on another 6 pack boat on the 15th. Wish me luck!