Salmon Stix and White Gold

Started by Maxed Out, August 28, 2019, 11:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Whew, The last month has been a busy one for me. Our local king salmon fishery opened in late July and lasted for just over 3 weeks. Inner Puget sound where I fish is 120 miles from the ocean and many of these kings are travelers and catching them is sometimes frustrating, as my screen shows them there, but they all have lockjaw. For me, persistence and local knowledge pays off most the time. I fished 22 out of 23 days and took home 19 kings that averaged in the mid teens. Average sleep per night, about 5 hours. Its very grueling and as soon as it ended, it was time to hop on tuna charter. Now up to my chin in tuna loins and freezer stuffed with salmon, its time to start processing
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

It's a shame that you missed that 23rd day ! ;D
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

It took me 4 days to get all the tuna canned. It would have taken longer but I handed out 24 loins to friends and neighbors. While the pressure cooker was going, I was also smoking salmon. Its 3/4 frozen when I portion and debone, which allows for precise thin cutting without damaging the meat.

My salmon brine is 80% brown sugar/20% rock salt....Into the big cooler for 8-10 hours and then rinse under cold water and pat dry with paper towels and into the smoker for 2-2.5 hours and 4 pans of alder chips

Maxed Out

One plate ready for the smoker. A few shots of finished product. I like to smoke some a bit longer for the dark looking heavy smoke version. The oily sheen comes from lots of belly meat in the mix

Maxed Out

....Most the pieces resemble a skinny stick, which is why I call these salmon stix

Edit: Ron Jones requested I reveal my secret tuna canning recipe. Here it is Ron, specially declassified for all to see !! Start with sushi grade loins stored in shaved commercial salt ice for 2-3 days. Separate belly meat. Put a bit of belly meat in each jar, tiny tiny pinch of salt. 10# for 100 minutes and done. I ended up with about 140 jars, mostly half pints, just couple cases of pints. The canned tuna has adopted the nickname  "White gold". Dubbed that by a long time forum member. I'd hafta agree

Edit#2, Crow I still have your brown spool(yes it is correct early brown), your patience will pay off, trust me !! Only 4 more weeks and it'll all be over. Its coho time until then. After that I hope to get caught up on some of my custom parts again

Best Regards, Ted

Maxed Out

Almost forgot, always save the best for last. We picture our reels with an AT wrench.....so this pic is a slight variation, and is the tool that helped build it. Wink Wink

Now if you'll excuse me I got a lot of Cream cheese/smoked salmon bagels to eat.

Swami805

Looks great Ted. I use about the same mix for smoking salmon, I use it for tuna too. Tasty!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Crow

Now, THAT'S the way to eat a bagel !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

thorhammer

your fishing is getting in the way of my reel building. hurry up with this nonsense and anodize some blades :)

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on August 29, 2019, 01:28:45 AM
your fishing is getting in the way of my reel building. hurry up with this nonsense and anodize some blades :)

LOL

Ted, how you normally eat those salmon Stix? as snacks?

I saw the salmon stix bagel and let me tell you that its a meal I've never seen before but I would eat it in a heartbeat
The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Darin Crofton

Looks tasty, Ted, good job there buddy!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Crow

No rush on the spool,Ted......I've got more than enough "chores" to keep me busy ! Getting more, everyday, it seems.....not all of them will be pleasant, either ! Our "neighbor gal" (Erin)was just diagnosed with cancer (lung, chest wall, and lymph nodes) and has a bunch of "treatments" ahead of her, to try to shrink the lung "mass" to a size that can be removed surgically....she has an invalid daughter (Tanya, 36 years old, confined to bed) at home, so, my wife and I will be taking turns, either driving Erin to her treatments, or "baby sitting" Tanya, while "Mom" is away. Depending on Erin's condition, we may postpone our "trip south", so as to be here to help where we can. Any extra prayers that can be sent Erin's way would surely be appreciated !

Hardy Boy

That is some premium looking smoked salmon right there !!! Mine turns out all right and tastes good but that looks 1000 times better ........................ nice job !! Maybe when I'm retired I can get mine to look like that.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

mo65

I never thought of eating a bagel like that...but it sure looks great! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~