Panga Hull - for custom build

Started by Gobi King, September 06, 2019, 03:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Greetings from West MI.

I took a hard look at my bank account and my plans to buy a used worldcat has to be put on hold for a while. But I have been wanting something 22 ft or bigger to fish and motor around the great lakes.

I found Memsa Panga hulls and pangamarine boats, both I can buy a bare hull and finish it myself.

Memsa -
pros - cheaper, the 26 ft one looks fantastic.
cons - wood in transom

Pangamarine -
pros - no wood, 22 ft is reasonable
cons - 26 is very expensive

setup - conter console with a bench
power - 75 to 110 hp

Anyone has any experience in this they want to share please?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

SoCalAngler

Have you fished in a panga style hulled boat?

I don't know the type of water conditions you fish in, but they can be very bumpy to teeth rattling in smaller types of waves/wind chop.

I have fished in them many times in Baja and like them but with their flatter bottom style design for beach launching and such they do ride a bit ruff at times. You need to slow down, sometimes way down or get beat to death. That's not too bad if you don't a long ways to travel but if you do then it could take you much longer to get to where you want to go.

If you have fished in panga's and know what their like and you think it would work for you then go for it. If not you may want to ride in one in different wave conditions so you know what your getting into before you pull the trigger.

Now what size to get will depend on how many will fish on it. For our Baja style fishing a 22' boat will fish 3 great and 4 in a pinch with all our gear. My late father had a 21 foot center console and we did fish 4 often but one guy usually ran the boat as the others fished. Then we would change who fished and who drove. Don't get me wrong many times we had 4 hooked up at one time but it could turn ugly at any time with tangles and such.

The 26' would do 4 great and 5 again in a pinch, again for our style. In the great lakes you are not dealing with the same type of fishing but seating gear storage and such I would not go over 5 in the 26'.

My fathers boat was a Triumph 21' center console that he ran a 110 hp 4 stroke from. This boat had a more V'ed shape bottom toward the stern and let us run faster in the wind chop/small waves with a close interval than the panga's could run. In flat or larger waves we ran about the same speed as the panga's

Gobi King

Thanks for all the input guys, I learned a lot.
While I have never fished out of a panga, I have commuted on similar hulls while travelling in Indonesia/Malaysia in my younger days.
Chops don't bother me but I see who a panga hull would beat me up.

Researching a solution for the greatlakes and sea use, i am tempted to opt for a catamaran hull.

Not sure who sound they are structurally though.
Fichigan

Gobi King

I found an ad in the local michigan craigslist for a panga, they listed it at $60k plus. Some dealer is selling it now. I was shocked!
Fichigan

Hardy Boy

I looked at some of the American made panga sites and they are not cheap. You never see any up here in the PNW so that tells you something about how they ride in our chippy conditions. I would love to own one if I had a place in Mexico.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gobi King

Chops, Great Lakes are infamous for the bottle effect, few of the members here explained to me panga is  NOT a good choice,
I am saving my coin for a Worldcat, I see one sitting at the dealer on my way to salmon fishing,
A man can only dream!
Fichigan

Cor

Interesting how different fishing conditions and people expectations are.

Firstly a boat that bashes in the waves because of a fairly flat hull that planes easier is a absolute pain in the backside.    When you get a bit older its a pain in every place you can think of and what's more guys can and do get injured from the bashing and lose their footing.    This type of hull is not for me!

Where I am the average swell & wave is in the region of 9 ft but can often be more and we generally have strong wind on top.

I prefer a Catamaran hull as it forms a more stable fishing platform and is often a more pleasant ride in moderate conditions but when the water gets above 9 ft then the Deep Vee type hulls come out tops.

Interestingly we easily fish up to 4 up on a 18 ft open boat and all make continuous casts with 10 ft rods, no problem.   Less crew is nicer for sure.
A boat of 22 - 24 ft is regarded as a large seaworthy recreational boat and can be taken >40 miles offshore.

Just some comment.
Cornelis