Heddon 234--a convertible ultralight

Started by festus, October 06, 2019, 05:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I ordered this reel out of curiosity because it resembled the 246 that I serviced last week.. Ebay sellers seldom give a description of size, weight, line capacity and such, but I had a hunch it was a small one. 

Right off the bat it was obvious this isn't the original bail nut.

The reel was dirty, but the handle had no pitting.

I've noticed most small screws in Heddon spinners are Phillips head.

Yep, the innards are almost identical to the 246 to a smaller scale.

Removing the oscillating slide screw..

Removing the axle.  Note I found another bail nut that fits until I get something better.

This Heddon convertible series reminds me of some of the Olympic spinners of that era.

Removing the drive gear.

Removing the oscillating slide.

Removing the oscillation gear.

Removing the transfer gear. (Please correct me if needed, transfer gear might not be the proper term)

This rotor nut is the same as in the 246, a 14mm.

I'm not too impressed with this sliding bail trip assembly.

Parts clean and dry..

This reel weighs 8.7 oz.  There have been enough Heddons serviced we now have a better scope of which models are linked in series.  This 234 is the smallest of the convertible group.  The 246 might be the next up.  The 251 is a heavy frshwater reel, and it's possible the 252 might be a larger saltwater model.

There are a few more Heddon greenie models out there we don't know much about, but we'll eventually get there.

mo65

Cool! I'll have to watch for one of these...I don't believe I have any ultralight Heddons.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester. That two piece spool is kind of interesting.

BTW, those combo Phillips type screws are the dead giveaway at first glance to beginning collectors about where the reel originated and approximately when. Prior to those even the early Japanese made reels had straight slotted screws. Japan started using those combo heads in the late 1960s.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)