Pflueger 1122--A look inside

Started by festus, November 30, 2019, 02:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

A while back I did a walk through of a Pflueger 1022.  This 1122 is a much better reel.  As many other other of these Japanese made reel companies, I have no clue of their numbering systems.

The spool has been removed, time to take off the handle.

Removing cover plate.

A look at the anti-reverse claw and spring.

Removing the screw from the oscillating slide makes way to take out the axle.

Removing the drive gear.

A look inside at the positions of the oscillating slide and oscillating gear.

Removing the oscillating slider.

Removing the oscillating gear.

The rotor is attached to the housing with a 12mm nut with left handed threads.

A look at the bottom of the rotor.  This reel was clean inside, and it's possible it was never fished.

The bail assembly worked just fine so I left it alone.

Is there a ball bearing underneath?  I have no idea, but we're about to find out.....

.....yes there is.  Not the best ball bearing, but the reel was running smooth before I took it apart, so it's adequate.

I see this engineering design in many of my newer reels from the past 10 years, an oscillating slide and oscillating gear, brass or bronze pinion, and pot metal main.

Reassembling the pinion and pinion bearing, then sealing it up.

Reattaching the rotor.

This tube of SuperLube has gone a long way and there is plenty left.

Getting the drive gear back in place.

Reattaching the oscillating slide to the axle.

Reattaching the cover plate.

Finishing touches, reattaching the spool.

It's possible this reel is a clone of one of the Shakespeare series.  It sure reminds me of those Omori-made 2400 series Shakespeares, but the gear ratio isn't the same plus this Pflueger doesn't have the oscillating arm system.  This one weighs 10.25 oz on my scales.  Retrieve ratio is 4.2:1.  Line capacity is 200 yds of 6 lb. mono, but imho 8 lb. mono would be ideal.  Very good looking reel in the burgundy and gold color combination.  I couldn't find a schematic for this reel online, but it's built simple enough I had no problems taking it apart and getting it back together.

foakes

Nice bearing and decent gears, Festus --

Good little reel!

Excellent service!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Nice look inside, Chester! It's really clean!  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Checking ebay for comparisons, it's looking like this Pflueger 1122 might be a clone of the Shakespeare 2701.  Color is different, but line capacity is the same.

Does anyone know if an ultralight model of this Pflueger was produced?

happyhooker

Thanks for the effort on the write-up & pics.

Frank

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Cool little reel Chester. It's another one of those great "bang for your buck" items...great look inside. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on November 30, 2019, 03:35:40 AM
Checking ebay for comparisons, it's looking like this Pflueger 1122 might be a clone of the Shakespeare 2701.  Color is different, but line capacity is the same.

Does anyone know if an ultralight model of this Pflueger was produced?

I don't think so. They came out in 1979. Models were 1122 light, 1127 medium & 1129 heavy. They did come out with a 1222 UL in 1980, though.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)