HERE'S WHAT A POPULAR CEDAR PLUG LOOKS LIKE

Started by Dominick, November 16, 2011, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseymic, PacRat, redfish12 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dominick

Hey Gang:  Check out this blue cedar plug I purchased from Gene at Pelagix.  I am going to have to buy a couple of more.  As you can see they work extremely well.  By the way, we haven't heard from Gene in a while.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

I went searching for Pelagix and found out that the name was changed or merged with Tunatec.  I'm buying 3 more blue plugs.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Nice one Dominick - I'd been wondering about these 'cedar plugs'.
They look a bit like some old-school kiwi lures - much more refined though.
QuoteAs you can see they work extremely well
Indeed!
Cheers mate.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Justin:  Check them out at http://www.tunatec.com. I used 2 of them in the spring and in the fall.  The blue cedar plugs out fished the others by about 3 to 1.  We did catch some Tuna on purple and, red with a black head.  I buy them unrigged and use No 10/0 Mustad needle eye hooks with 150lb Jinkai leader. Dominick

redsetta

Will do Dominick - thanks for the link (and detail).
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

qcguy4198

Do they offer any that have been completely painted...????? ;D ;D
(sorry...that was too easy)
Seriously though....I've seen those kind of lures, but have no experience with them.
Do you just drag that chunk of wood behind the boat, or is there some special technique ..??
Thanks.

whalebreath

Quote from: qcguy4198 on November 18, 2011, 10:39:26 AMDo you just drag that chunk of wood behind the boat, or is there some special technique ..??
It's just a trolling lure with an action that really doesn't look all that special but has proven it's worth many times over.

alantani

Quote from: qcguy4198 on November 18, 2011, 10:39:26 AM

that made my morning.......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Quote from: qcguy4198 on November 18, 2011, 10:39:26 AM
Seriously though....I've seen those kind of lures, but have no experience with them.
Do you just drag that chunk of wood behind the boat, or is there some special technique ..??
Thanks.

Thanks for the laugh.  You have got to see the action on one of these cedar plugs.  If the plug is tuned correctly the hook is straight up.  The lure does a side to side shake on the top of the water.  The lure is placed in the 3rd and 4th wakes behind the boat when the boat is up to 7-8 knots.  The lure kicks up a splash the same as if a fish was feeding on the surface.  The big mystery is why certain colors seem to attract the most fish when the splashing action is the same.  Whatever the attraction of the blue plug is all I know is it out fished other colors we threw out.  To add to the whole mystery, the blue plug out fished the other colors both in the spring and in the fall.  One would think the colors would change with the different seasonal bait.  By the way the next plug that gets hit regularly is the cedar plug in natural wood.  Go figure.  It's fishing.  By the way I emailed Gene at TunaTec and did not receive a response.  Does anyone know if he is still around.  He hasn't posted in a while.  Dominick

Norcal Pescador

I traded emails with Gene a few months ago - brought me up to date. It took him a few days to get back to me and he doesn't log in much anymore. He was/is reducing his scope of products.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

wallacewt

these 2 articles will change the way you think about cedar plugs.
www.albacoretuna.org
vonborks.org/cedar_plug.html
enjoy.

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on November 20, 2011, 12:35:43 AM
these 2 articles will change the way you think about cedar plugs.
www.albacoretuna.org
vonborks.org/cedar_plug.html
enjoy.
Wallace:  Great article.  I read lots of stuff about fishing.  If you could only see my library about big game fishing it would astound you.  I get most of my information from reading the experts' opinions.  Yes I have read the same thing about fish looking up at the bright surface and all it sees is a silohuette.  It all makes very logical sense.  I have looked up from under water at the bright surface.  Yes I can't see colors but a dark shape.  But I "ain't" a fish.  Everytime I read some of these studies, I believe them.  But I always come back to how come the blue lure gets hit more times then the other colors?  I think a fish knows more about eating fish then we do.  allace, my friend, it is called fishing.  I don't think there is an answer.  I also have a bright green Marauder that gets chewed up a lot.  Dominick 

wallacewt

have you tried 6 or 8 black plugs at the same time.that scientist reckons all lures should be the same colour.our season is about to start,warm water is coming,im gunna try it instead of mixed coloured lures.i know squid love black.cheers

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on November 20, 2011, 04:57:32 AM
  I think a fish knows more about eating fish then we do.  Wallace, my friend, it is called fishing.  I don't think there is an answer.  I also have a bright green Marauder that gets chewed up a lot.  Dominick 

I have  a buddy that works at a fish market, I usually grab a bucket of fish parts for when I go out with my boat.
I have cought stripers on salmon strips  :o.... I've never seen a salmon in jersey waters :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

hey pesca
the reason they eat the blue more than the other colours is because you use it more often, and its your favorite.so whataya tink of dat.cheers dom.