500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalenao, Fishheadmusic and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

alantani

there shouldn't be that much play.  i'm wondering if a new bearing/bushing would help.  you could also put a small plug of some sort inside the existing bushing to shim it over.  the spring should be there but does not matter. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MisterStinky

Ok thanks Alan. I will have a look around for a replacement bushing.

MisterStinky

Quote from: alantani on November 05, 2022, 05:45:28 AMthere shouldn't be that much play.  i'm wondering if a new bearing/bushing would help.  you could also put a small plug of some sort inside the existing bushing to shim it over.  the spring should be there but does not matter. 

Thanks, plugging the bushing did the trick! I did look online for a new bushing but it would almost cost the same as a new jigmaster to post to Australiastan. Didnt have anything suitable to shim with. So cut a little bit of tin solder and dropped it into the bushing and melted it with a torch. A bit redneck and have lost the oiling port but no big deal I think. Anyway feels pretty smooth now.

Gfish

Too late now, but some people use a delrin "dot". I use an adjustable leather punch on a delrin washer. Delrin has a nice slippery surface and is pretty tuff stuff. The spring will keep the bushing from un-screwing once you get it adjusted.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MisterStinky

Quote from: Gfish on November 13, 2022, 08:42:49 PMToo late now, but some people use a delrin "dot". I use an adjustable leather punch on a delrin washer. Delrin has a nice slippery surface and is pretty tuff stuff. The spring will keep the bushing from un-screwing once you get it adjusted.

Thanks that would have been a better solution. Somehow I missed your reply sorry. I managed to find a used parts reel and swapped bearings but the other one was still doing the job when it was replaced.

I also noticed the main gear in the parts reel is steel(magnet sticks to it). Can somebody please tell me which would be the stronger gear to use, brass or steel?

Rancanfish

Steel no question. But I never crank down my drag all the way so have never damaged any brass yet.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

MisterStinky

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 28, 2023, 03:07:32 PMSteel no question. But I never crank down my drag all the way so have never damaged any brass yet.

Okay thanks for your help!!