140/145/146 squidder

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I'm sure some one will chime in Hoyt. I'm just getting into the squidders, Surmasters ,Baymasters and Jigmasters. I don't know enough about them yet to answer your question. Did you get those Surfmaster drags I sent you?
Life is Good!

otghoyt

Yes I did, and thank you very much.  I owe you one, for sure. 

Although I have just contacted Alan for a SS gear sleeve, I did re-assemble the Squid-machine and I must say, the 5 plate drag set-up is really noticeable on the smaller reel.  It is smother and more linear in it's adjust-ability. Having huge drag numbers wasn't my intention with this little reel.  I was after more control so it would break free seamlessly and stay hooked up even though the operator isn't very proficient.

I built this rod reel/reel for my older son.  He is low on patience and high on excuses.  Not the qualities necessary for enjoying the sport.   He always wants to be with dad and younger brother but he winds up becoming frustrated and bums out the whole trip.  As a dad I always want the best possible for my boys so I put together one of the most versatile rigs I could think of.  Here's hoping.........

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

otghoyt

I made it sound like a kid, didn't I?  He's 25.  His younger brother is 23.  Two more opposite human beings you'll never meet and I swear, they both came from the same mother!  I do things specifically for the older one which is out of the comfort zone of the younger and visa-versa.   The younger son will fish with me shoulder to shoulder all day long, the older one could care less but he likes being there.  Weird

Lensters

It seems weird to us but he is probably closer to being an average person than we are.  The situation sounds very much like my dad, my older brother and I.  If you read the book "The Five Love Languages" you'll see that quality time is high on his list even if anxiously waiting for a twitch on his line is not.  Maybe you could try to find something that he likes to do while your fishing.  For example my brother would drive the boat when we trolled.  It was great as he would put all his attention into putting the boat right over where we got the last strike instead of being distracted watching his pole.  If we were planning on jigging or working shorelines then he usually decided not to go.  In the end, you might end up having to bite the bullet and do things that he likes to do to get in the quality time he obviously wants.
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

otghoyt

I have great relationships with both of my sons.  The older one is left handed and let me tell you...they flat #### think different.  I spent a lot of time and effort when he was young trying to figure what language his mind communicated with.  I am familiar with the 5 languages of love and it was helpful to me so I could use my gear head thinking to identify and work through his human problem.   A left handed male has a lot of conflict going on between left hemisphere thinking, right hemisphere thinking and testosterone thinking. 

Public schools are not even close to being on the proper channel necessary to communicate with and educate a left handed male child.  I worked hard and educated myself so I could guide my child through a system that labeled him and left him behind.  Truly, what most people would consider a curse, is a blessing if they could only understand.  We have our issues from time to time and now that he's an adult I just hold my tongue and he usually figures it out on his own.  It seems to work out that way although it irritates the hell out of me, I just need to be patient. 

I made him a pimped out Squidder on a Calstar rod that I wrapped for him so it would give him a little confidence. Although he doesn't know my reasoning at least his equipment is top notch and will help make up for his lack of instinct.  Let's go fishing...........

Prefessa

Quote from: WOTHoyt on February 28, 2014, 02:53:19 AM
I know this thread is kind of old and I don't know who may be watching for new messages but.........Does anybody know if there is a pinion gear from another model that has another tooth or two on it that will fit and mesh in a 146 Squidder.  The main is pretty much crammed into the side plate but there is enough room for a larger pinion.  Has anybody done this.  I saw another blog about swapping pinions on a 250, 1/0 reel to get like 3.1 or 3.25 to 1 ratio.  I put a 500 Jigmaster pinion in a 146 Squidder and they are the same.  I tried a 506HS and the pitch is all wrong.  What does a 112 have?

Squidder comes from the factory with a 3.33:1 ratio. If you can still find them Pinion # 13-99 has an extra tooth and brings it down to 3:1...It was the same Pinion as a Penn 99, Penn 250 and Penn 259 and perhaps a 1/0 senator. The 13-140 pinion is the same pitch an # of teeth as a jigmaster 13-500, but without the countersink for the plain bearing.

mike1010

Many years ago, at the top of this thread, Alan wrote, "rebuild the gear stack with a generous coat of drag grease on all of the drag washers.  don't worry about the excess.  it will simply squeeze out the sides."

I found in rebuilding a 501 and a 200 that generously greasing the HT-100 drag stacks with Cal's results in a significant loss of drag power, which I restored by wiping the carbon and metal washers clean of visible grease.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Mike

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: mike1010 on November 10, 2014, 07:33:53 PM
Many years ago, at the top of this thread, Alan wrote, "rebuild the gear stack with a generous coat of drag grease on all of the drag washers.  don't worry about the excess.  it will simply squeeze out the sides."

I found in rebuilding a 501 and a 200 that generously greasing the HT-100 drag stacks with Cal's results in a significant loss of drag power, which I restored by wiping the carbon and metal washers clean of visible grease.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Mike

I have come across this rebuilding several reels for ppl. Just due to how much grease is between the cf and metal washer not allowing for as much friction. However, I'm with Alan on his statement because a well greased drag is unbeatable. If I notice i over greased a little I just lock the drag down to squeeze out the grease and do a couple runs with line on the reel and that always brings the drag numbers up and gives me piece of mind that all surfaces are still well greased.

mike1010

Fishsticks, exercising the drag makes sense, thanks.  I will play with that.  But I was not suggesting to omit greasing the drag, just that it is something that can be overdone.

Mike

Bryan Young

Hi Mike,

I apply grease to my drag washers with a little excess...not much, but whatever is left of the drags.  Some drag washers will soak in a little more when the drag pressure is applied.

After assembling, I tie a loop in my line and pull the line in 3 foot increments while each time I tighten the drag until I get to "MY" desired number, then I do this 3 more times to make sure that my drag numbers are consistent.

This will usually spread out the grease well within the drag stack and push out the excess.

Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

all of the excess will squeeze out.  it will look a little messy when you take it apart again, but it works just fine. 

mike1010

I will try it.   Thanks,  Bryan.

Mike

maxpowers

Alan,

Is there a secret to removing the bearing cover on in the tension adjuster cup?  I was able to get the bearing cover of the one on the right side plate but the cover on the cup is on tight.  I noticed that theer are some helical ridges on the cover.  Do you have to do a pull and turn at the same time?

Thanks,

alantani

i use the bearing puller like a crowbar and lift it up.