140/145/146 squidder

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Awesome Sluggo !!! I'm glad it worked out for you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George6308

I just replaced the right side plate on my Penn 140 Squidder. It's an older one with the maroon side plates. The new part 2-200 ring would let me turn the side plate so as the take apart screw would enter its assigned hole.
Penn claims the Bakelight side plate has warped or expanded due to age and that they have not changed the specifications on this ring.  I fall to see if this is possible as the side plate is bound with a metal ring.
I had to sand the inside of the ring to get the plate (part 1-140) to fit.
Has anybody else had fitment problems with replacement Penn rings? Should I try to find a slightly larger inside
diamater ring ?

Alto Mare

I have run into that same issue in the past George, but not often. Mine were the Surfmasters.
If I remember correctly, I think I drilled a small shallow hole at the very end of the slots where the pins slide. This allowed the plate ro rotate just a hair more, so the thumb screw would line up.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: George6308 on August 01, 2019, 06:18:59 AM
Penn claims the Bakelight side plate has warped or expanded due to age and that they have not changed the specifications on this ring.  I fall to see if this is possible as the side plate is bound with a metal ring.
I had to sand the inside of the ring to get the plate (part 1-140) to fit.
Has anybody else had fitment problems with replacement Penn rings?

I know it sounds silly to think the side plate would swell with age...but they sure do. I've seen scores of split rings, mostly on the larger side plates.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

Quote from: George6308 on August 01, 2019, 06:18:59 AM
Has anybody else had fitment problems with replacement Penn rings?
It happens a lot.  I use a flat mill file to shave down the bakelite so the ring will fit.
-steve

Crow

I think removing material from the plate is a better option than removing it from the rings, As Steve said, a file...or an old screwdriver reshaped as a "scraper" will take it away, fairly quickly, just take care not to "slip" and mark the face area of the plate.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

George6308

The Squidder Bakelite side plate has no contact with part 2-200 ring as it has a metal ring already mounted on the side plate. Two other 2-200 rings fit fine however they are retired due to cosmetic issues. This is leading me to believe the newer ring is smaller in diameter that the ones it replaced. For now the modified 2-200 ring will suffice however I will be trying other rings as it may be a part tolerance issue.
Thanks for the ideas Sqidders are still a useful reel.

mo65

Quote from: George6308 on August 02, 2019, 08:19:23 PM
The Squidder Bakelite side plate has no contact with part 2-200 ring as it has a metal ring already mounted on the side plate. Two other 2-200 rings fit fine however they are retired due to cosmetic issues. This is leading me to believe the newer ring is smaller in diameter that the ones it replaced. For now the modified 2-200 ring will suffice however I will be trying other rings as it may be a part tolerance issue.

Sheesh...now I see what you mean George. The Squidder plate is bound in metal. If the two old rings fit then that spills the beans. The new one has to be a bit smaller. I suppose over all the years there has to be some fitment issues. I've had new Penn parts that had to be "tweaked" just a little to fit, it has to be expected I guess. It's a shame though, to have to sand the chrome off a brand new ring. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

George6308

Ring problem solved. Procured another ring (Penn part 2-200) from a different supplier and it fit perfectly. Thanks to Sal for it's handle and the 146's crossbars.

broadway

Nice selection, George.  Now that's a sweet handle shape and coloring.  Man, Sal, is making these reels complete with all these awesome knobs.
I'm a fan, keep it up Sal,
Dom

Alto Mare

George, it must have been a while back, I've forgotten all about that knob.
Good job making that reel work!

Thanks Dom!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Brandon G

Quote from: George6308 on August 13, 2019, 02:46:25 PM
Ring problem solved. Procured another ring (Penn part 2-200) from a different supplier and it fit perfectly. Thanks to Sal for it's handle and the 146's crossbars.

OH MY LORD WHERE DID YOU GET THAT KNOB ON THAT SQUIDDER?!?!?!? (The black and orangish one)
Tight Lines :)

Alto Mare

Quote from: W1R3T4Penn on April 18, 2020, 08:54:28 PM
Quote from: George6308 on August 13, 2019, 02:46:25 PM

OH MY LORD WHERE DID YOU GET THAT KNOB ON THAT SQUIDDER?!?!?!? (The black and orangish one)
The knob was made by me for George.
Unfortunately George left us last year due to health issues, he put up a good fight but couldn't overcome the many issues.
George was loaded with knowledge on Penn reels, I invited him to come over our site 4-5 years ago, we were lucky to have him here, he sure is missed.

Sal

Brandon G

Oh wow, I'm sorry for bringing that up!
It sure is beautiful though!
Tight Lines :)

Alto Mare

Quote from: W1R3T4Penn on April 18, 2020, 11:12:11 PM
Oh wow, I'm sorry for bringing that up!
It sure is beautiful though!
q
No, you actually did good.
It's good to talk about people that are no longer with us every once in a while.

Sal