Torium/Trinidad 16/20/30 Service Tutorial by mark mayo

Started by alantani, March 27, 2009, 02:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tassie Fisher

does dawn have carbontex washers to suit the torium 30???
Just pulled mine apart and snapped a drag washer in half wiping off the old grease  :-\

And where would i get the dog from, i would like to upgrade to this option having seen the results of not having done so!

Any help would be appreciated as i love this reel, couldn't do without it during the bluefin season!!!

Board4life

Quote from: Tassie Fisher on September 03, 2011, 07:19:56 AM
does dawn have carbontex washers to suit the torium 30???
Just pulled mine apart and snapped a drag washer in half wiping off the old grease  :-\

And where would i get the dog from, i would like to upgrade to this option having seen the results of not having done so!

Any help would be appreciated as i love this reel, couldn't do without it during the bluefin season!!!

Yes she does... I have done 3 already and have carbontex for two more coming in the mail. Just took one to La Paz and it worked perfectly. Not sure about the dog though. I have never had a failed dog yet so not too worried about it. When the time comes I will probably make that upgrade. But until I have a problem, I am rocking the stock dog system.

Tassie Fisher

Thanks for the help Board4life now to order the parts and have them shipped from the U.S. Last thing i ordered was a set of drag washers for a daiwa sealine 30H, that was a month ago and still no show, so hopefully will have better luck with Dawn  ;D

kiyu

HI guys!!

Anyone know how to remove the Spool bearing form the right? ( picture 69)

if any idea how? please let me know!!
kind regards.

Board4life

You have to pull out the pin. You can work it with some pliers... I use channel locks and can get it out with that. It is tough but manageable. Just make sure your not damaging the hole or bending anything. I think Alan actually has a great tool specially for it.

kiyu

Quote from: Board4life on September 10, 2011, 08:29:06 PM
You have to pull out the pin. You can work it with some pliers... I use channel locks and can get it out with that. It is tough but manageable. Just make sure your not damaging the hole or bending anything. I think Alan actually has a great tool specially for it.

after a while and with some patience I can remove the pin... almost loose it becuse fly away... but I found it.. now I am cleaning the bearing and the I will install it again!
Thanks!!!
Regards

tacoma09

I just serviced my torium 30 the other day. I notice the spool shaft was sort of corroded to the pinnion gear.  Problem solved with a little elbow grease.  My concern is how do you know when the bearing need to be changed?  At first the freespool was bad, to a point of 2-3 seconds.  Now since i serviced the reel and cleaned and lubed the bearings.  Free spool is at about 15-25 seconds after polishing the spool shaft.  However, while casting there is a weird grinding sound when casting and retriving.  Is this normal?  Everything seems to be working fine, it's just the slight grinding sound.

Mark

Bryan Young

Bearings are probably bad.  Alan taught me to put the bearing in the palm of one hand.  Then take your finger to the inner race of the bearing and rotate the bearing while applying some pressure.  You will feel the grinding.  My sensitivity is not as good as Alans, but I do find a few.  Unfortunatley, I normally hear it when I put the reel back together, spin the spool and set it on the table.  The table amplifies the sound for me to know that I have a bad bearing.  Then I just put the spinning reel close to my ears and just listed to locate which bearing is making the sound.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

tacoma09

Hey Brian, do you know the part # for the bearings that I need to change?  I think i'm changing them both out.

Bryan Young

I don't know the part number, sorry.  I got by size.  Measure ID, OD, and width.  Match it up with something that Boca Bearing or SmoothDrags has and order.

let  me see if I have a Torium 30 in house and I'll measure and post later tonight if my kids will let me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

tacoma09

Do you think I can run the bearings for now?  What would happen if I don't change them now?

Bryan Young

Noisy, but don't let it go for too long or the bearing could break and that would ruin your day and possilby your spool.

tacoma09

Why does Dawn have 2 different bearings for the trinidad/torium?  6x12x4mm & 4x11x4mm? 

Bryan I know that I need a pair of 6x12x4mm, what is the other size for?

Bryan Young

Hmm, let me re-measure tomorrow.  Sorry.  Maybe I miss measured.