Torium/Trinidad 16/20/30 Service Tutorial by mark mayo

Started by alantani, March 27, 2009, 02:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lyons

I have 2 Trinidad TN16 reels that I'm repairing. I can't seem to find the roller clutch bearing, TGT0281, anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks in advance...

Just thought I'd elaborate a bit. I originally found this place when a friend asked me to look at a couple of old Penn Senators. Thanks to the tutorials here they are as good as new after years of neglect and abuse. Now I'm moving into the more complicated gear, this pair of TN16's. Unfortunately I tend to tear into them first, read the tutorial second. I'll learn the hard way I suppose. With the schematics and many times taking them apart and putting them back together I think I have it sorted out. I've looked at the Shimano parts site, they have the TGT0281 as discontinued. I thought I'd check here and see if there was a better source. $Mikes$ site lists them but I have several other parts backordered there so I came here to see what you all have to say.

Anyone?

edit to add

OK so I found the answer and wanted to document it here in case anyone else needs it. Jennifer from fishingreelparts.com tells me that BNT2952 is the same part. I ordered them up so I should be all set. BNT2952 = TGT0281

steelfish

Quote from: Kayote on February 25, 2015, 09:16:34 PM
My roller clutch bearing on my TN14 got crusted up so I cleaned it, but it was still rough when turned. I ordered a new roller clutch bearing and roller clutch inner tube to replace them. I tried to remove the old bearing and the inner holder and bearings fell out. How do I remove the old crusted in roller clutch bearing?  Thanks

on my friends reel (gold trini 20) the IAR bearing got trashed and needs a new one.
I have two questions:

1. can someone tell me whats the size to order a new one from Smoothdrag
2. why its necesary to order the inner tube as well when you get a new IAR bearing?

thanks in advance amigos
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on October 04, 2016, 01:06:22 AM
on my friends reel (gold trini 20) the IAR bearing got trashed and needs a new one.
I have two questions:

1. can someone tell me whats the size to order a new one from Smoothdrag
2. why its necesary to order the inner tube as well when you get a new IAR bearing?

anyone?
The Baja Guy

MarkT

Tell Dawn what you need.  She can probably tell you what the correct one is.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hamachi

You don't really need to replace the inner tube portion, but that is the weak link, first to break so I would replace it. At least you'll have a spare. You never see any marks on it, right? That's because it is brutally hard but it is also brittle. Some say that they need to be replaced together, kind of like a pinion and main gear, they wear in together.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

steelfish

The Baja Guy

jrhall86

Hello all, I have a Torium 20 first gen that I got from someone. I took it apart yesterday and cleaned everything. I have figured out that all bearings have basically dissolved. It was pretty bad inside, like it has never been serviced. I'll need both spool bearings, the left side plate bearing, right side plate bearing and the needle bearing next to it. Also going to replace the drag washers and handle. What's the best way to get something like this going? I'm still new to the site.

thorhammer

Alan's fishing, but someone will be along shortly. I have that reel but not torn it down. What I am pretty confident of is that you are looking at close to a hundred bucks of Shimano parts- check Boca bearings first, and depending on what you do with this reel, get a knob from Alan when he returns. They are the Cadillac- the 3/0 knob ( his designation) will be great on that reel.

John

jrhall86

Yea, trying to decide if it is worth the cost to put it back together. Thanks for pointing me towards Boca Bearings.

thorhammer

You might try Dawn at Smooth Drag first- she should have drags and maybe bearings too.

jrhall86

How can I post a picture? The file is 28mb and it says it's too big.

jrhall86

How can I tell which Torium 20 I have. It's the light silver color but has the anti reverse upgrade.

handi2

Quote from: jrhall86 on January 12, 2022, 02:53:01 PM
How can I tell which Torium 20 I have. It's the light silver color but has the anti reverse upgrade.

Send the pictures to me at mkrawson54@gmail.com. I can help you with the parts you need.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MarkT

Quote from: jrhall86 on January 12, 2022, 02:53:01 PM

There's only the original which you have and the darker Torium 20hg or pg which are the 2nd (current) generation.
I have the original with the Trinidad DC spring loaded dog upgrade.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jrhall86

Keith, just checking in to make sure you received my emails. I sent you a couple directly.

John