Lubing worm gears?

Started by Killerbug, November 18, 2011, 10:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killerbug

No, I have some synthetic wetlube for road bikes, but I prefer not to mix it with the mineral oil products.  But on a clean level wind I will give it a try.  I have used the Pedro ice wax also, but I didn't like it.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Glos

grease on a worm and gears that propel it slows things down a  bit.
Best is to use NLGI 0 grease .
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

boon

I recently started using TSI321 on them and my baitcasters have never run so smoothly.

redsetta

x2 boon.
I dunk the worm gear and pawl (and leave 'em to evaporate dry) when I service the reels, then put a few drops of Inox on the assembly after each fish...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Lunker Larry

I use Bell Synthetic Bicycle Chain Lube. So far it works great and lasts. No difference in casting, but then again we're tossing big muskie baits.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

FatTuna

I use ReelX. For both level-winds and for a worm drive in a spinning reel.

mo65

Like many others here..I've found the less you put on the levelwind the better it will perform. I believe heavy lube or grease wears the assembly faster, because of all the sand and dirt it will pick up and hold. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Cor

I do a lot of winding and grinding with my reels and on advice from this forum switched to Corrosion X from grease about 2 years ago.

It seems easier to maintain as I can clean it of without stripping the reel, solvent, toothbrush and compressed air.    I don't see much difference in wear yet.
Cornelis

George6308

Used Penn Muscle Grease from Penn or sourced from Muscle Products Corp (MPC) and switched over to Penn Blue Grease and have not had a lube problem with my Penn spinning reels.