True Words

Started by foakes, December 27, 2019, 10:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Last week, I was at a Stereo Audio Shop getting an upgrade to the sound system in my truck.

This was on the wall.

Likely appropriate for many of our expert reelsmiths on site.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Fred - not only appropriate to reel work. I was recently reminded when quized 'how do you know that', I replied '50 odd years of learning'. Knowledge is one aspect, the ability to usefully employ that knowledge is a different kettle of fish :)

Dominick

That works in my business also.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

I tell my kids that there are those with 5 years of experience and those with one year of experience 5 times over.  I have 40 years of experience.  I don't how many it will take to replace me but we're getting close to finding out!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Midway Tommy

Well, I've gained so much experience over the years that I've forgotten a lot what I used to know. I think I should be compensated for that, too.  ;) It ain't easy having "some-timers", you know!   ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 28, 2019, 07:36:51 AM
Well, I've gained so much experience over the years that I've forgotten a lot what I used to know. I think I should be compensated for that, too.  ;) It ain't easy having "some-timers", you know!   ;D
Yeah, me too.  I have to forget some more stuff in order to make room for anything new in there.
-steve

Crow

I resemble that remark, Steve !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

PacRat

That's the 'Penguins on the rock' memory analogy. Your memories are like penguins on a crowded rock and every time a new one jumps onto the rock an old one has to go back into the sea.
-Mike

Midway Tommy

Quote from: PacRat on December 28, 2019, 06:09:31 PM
That's the 'Penguins on the rock' memory analogy. Your thoughts are like penguins on a crowded rock and every time a new one jumps onto the rock an old one has to go back into the sea.
-Mike

QuoteYeah, me too.  I have to forget some more stuff in order to make room for anything new in there.
-steve

Yep, I came to the conclusion awhile back that my working memory has been overloaded and therefor has affected the encoding of my long-term memory.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

Quote from: PacRat on December 28, 2019, 06:09:31 PM
That's the 'Penguins on the rock' memory analogy. Your thoughts are like penguins on a crowded rock and every time a new one jumps onto the rock an old one has to go back into the sea.
-Mike

whaddayado when the rock is eroding?

Jim Fujitani

What rock?  What is a rock?  Penguin?  Huh?

Shark Hunter

I have forgotten more than you will ever know. ;)
That is what I tell the new supervisors. Deep down, they know it is true. ;D
Life is Good!

MarkT

I taught you every thing you know... but not everything I know!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Wompus Cat

What I Don't Know about (insert  subject or repair here) Ain't  Worth Knowin !
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

:)  Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut , When i am finished , than ask the remaining questions .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare