Garcia Mitchell 406, a partial look at a rebuild

Started by festus, January 03, 2020, 06:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

These Garcia Mitchells can be found for a good price on ebay.  Already have a couple of the lower speed 306, so familiarity wasn't an issue. This one was very clean on the outside.  It was functional, but reeling was just a little stiff to my liking. Bail was ok, but not working 100%.  This won't be a tutorial, just a look at some steps along the way of a rebuild.

The reel definitely had been serviced before, but probably not in the past couple years.  It had a clean greenish colored grease inside that had hardened to an extent.

The oscillation slide lock has been removed.

The oscillation slide has been removed.

The planimatic gear is removed.

A look inside the rotor which is clean.

I missed a few steps in taking my pictures, but a round plastic piece known as the rotating head lock has to be removed to get the rotor off. Didn't get a picture of the tiny key that you want to make sure not to lose.  To remove the pinion and bearing, he bail trip ramp and a screw, plus another small piece not listed on the schematic has to be removed.

In the past I've been very careful to avoid spilling the balls from the bearing assembly on the 308, 408, 306, and 302.  Last night it fell apart anyway, but wasn't that big of a hassle rounding them up and getting them back in place.  A greased toothpick and a magnetized awl work wonders.

I used Penn Reel Grease for reassembly.  Pinion and bearing plus the drive gear have been reinserted back into place. The axle on this reel had an accumulation of hard grease, after using Ardent Reel Oil, it loosened up remarkably.

The bail wire, spring, and mount were disassembled and cleaned.

Rotor reattached.

More reassembly.

The spool and drag assembly on this 406 is different than my 306.

These photos don't do the appearance of this beautiful reel justice.  It is a navy blue color but appears black.  Cosmetics aren't perfect, but it feels like a brand new reel. I don't want to criticize the Mitchell 300, but the design of these 308/408/302/402/306/406 are much superior.  The serial number on this one is 318203.  I can't find any positive time frame this reel was produced on the Mitchell Museim site, but most likely the mid-1970s.

mo65

Quote from: festus on January 03, 2020, 06:44:31 PM
I don't want to criticize the Mitchell 300, but the design of these 308/408/302/402/306/406 are much superior. 

I agree wholeheartedly! The design of the 300/400/410 is so over complicated...yet they produced them for decades...by the millions! It obviously had to be economical to make, had to be a money maker. I'm not super crazy about the 304/314 design either, but I like it better than the 300. The 410 with all it's roller bearings is smoother than the 300, but still pales by comparison to the 308. I still think the 308/408 was Mitchell's finest hour...with the 306/406 second. Nice work on that 406 Chester. Wish I could find a few more bailess PUM kits for the 306/406. They only pop up occasionally...so you have to jump fast or they're gone.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

DON3099

I saved this 406.

thorhammer

DON3099

I did have to get a new spool.

Gfish

Man, you sure did save that one. What was the composition of all that crap on there and how'ed you clean it up?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

DON3099

Saltwater corrosion. Used a brass brush, and dremel with a brass brush. Than commercial paint remover (not sold to the public). Painted it with Dupli-color black metallic paint, 3 coats of Max 2K glamour clear coat.